New 180 gallon setup.

tmichel

I've ordered my tank and I was wondering what the benefits would be running all the plumbing to the sump into my basement? It will end up right next to my water heater, so I thought it might be easy to put an RO/DI unit next to the sump for easy water changes, and an auto top off.

robchuck

Placing a sump in your basement will be a benefit for not only the easy access to RO/DI, but also will give you an area to work with much larger than you would have under your stand. Plus, the noise from equipment will be reduced.
One drawback about a basement sump is that a large, pressure-rated pump is needed to fight the head pressure in returning water to the display tank. These pumps aren't as electrically efficent as the high flow/low-pressure pumps, but it's a small price to pay in return for all the benefits received from using a basement sump.

gold strip

If you can put the sump in your basement, go for it! Many people do it that way.
I am setting up a 180 now and the wall its going on in the family room is a shared wall with the garage so everything is going out there. It makes it SOOOOOOO much easier to work on stuff. Plenty of room to mount all my ballasts with breathing room, chiller, skimmer, kalk reactor, dosing pums and controllers. Everything is going to have easy access. I'll post some pics when I am finished with the set up.
As Rob said, the main concern is getting the water back up to the tank. I like Iwaki pumps for this. They are not quite as efficient as some others but really reliable and super strong.
Good luck and post some pics when you get everything going.

robchuck

Originally posted by fishking
wut pump would i use if the return water would have to go up about 10-17ft of piping

An Iwaki pump would be great for your application.

gold strip

You want to use an RLT pump if you go with Iwaki for high pressure situations. RLXTs are for circulation only.
I am using a 70 RLT for my setup but am staying on the same floor. You would probably want to go with a 100 RLT but I am just guessing.

fishking

Originally posted by RobChuck
An Iwaki pump would be great for your application.

thnx, im thinkin of maybe puttin the sump down in the basment and also adding a refuge if i do

tmichel

Thanks for the info. I have another question I'm planning on getting the AGA 180 with the dual mega overflows, I was thinking of using all 4 bulkheads to drain, and having two pumps (one for each side) for the return using a seaswirl at each end, would that work? What are your opinions, what would you change?

gold strip

I AM USING THE 70 RLT TO RETURN WATER TO THE STANFDARD OVERFOLWS.
THEN I HAD AN ADDITIONAL 1" BULKHEAD ADDED TO THE BACK WALL OF THE TANK ABOUT 1/2 WAY UP AND WILL RUN A CLOSED LOOP FROM THERE TO A LITTLE GIANT 4, THROUGH AN OCEANSMOTIONS 4-WAY AND BACK TO EACH CORNER OF THE TANK.
I HAD A 2ND 1" BULKHEAD ADDED TO THE BACK WALL EVENLY SPACED AWAY FROM THE OTHER ONE AND AM GOING TO USE THIS FOR A CLOSED LOOP TO A LITTLE GIANT 3, THROUGH MY CHILLER AND BACK TO THE TANK THROUGH ANOTHER SPLIT RETURN TO EACH SIDE OF THE TANK.
TOTAL WILL BE 4 CONSTANT RETURNS (2 STANDARD AND 2 FROM CHILLER) AND 4 ALTERNATING RETURNS (OM 4-WAY) SO THAT THERE WILL BE MINIMUM OF 6 RETURNS RUNNING AT ANY GIVEN TIME. SHOULD BE ENOUGH FLOW.