New 20 Gallon setup, need help

jwagne267

I am currently build a new 20 gallone setup and I had a few questions. First my tank is a 20 long witha 10 gallon sump. I just finished build the cabinet for it(will post pictures later) and now I am moving on to plumbing. I just recieved some things I ordered and of course I have more questions. I have 1 inch bulkhead fittings and I will be using this as a reef tank. I was wondering what the return pump should be. I have powerheads that I will probably use but I just want to know about how much the return pump should actually do. Also what kind of lighting do you peopel advise. I want to be able to keep anything I could possibly want in there. Its standard 30"x12"x12". I would ratehr go with T5 so I don't have heating issues. One more thing is do I absolutely need a protein skimmer? I won't have much fish(maybe 2 clownfish and Goby) in there as I am a big fan of different types of shrimp. If I change the water regularly. Trying to keep costs down as I am a college student.

ibew41

if you are going to go reef on this tank imo you need the skimmer.T5 are the way to go on lights but if your on a budget then dyi your own setup

mr_x

i don't think you need a protein skimmer if you are to keep up with waterchanges. reef or no reef.
a 4 x 39 watt t-5 fixture should work fine for you.