New 240gallon reef

mcbdz

I finally got my 240
Measures 96" x 24" x 24". This will be my last tank and I am planning on a reef with mixed corals. And TANGS. I'm still way in the planning stages. I hope to have it started cycling by the beginning of the year.
Now, for why I've posted. I'm going to hopefully get some advice from some of you guys with the well established reefs,and those that frag.

First question will be everyones input on substrate. I plan on having about 300lbs of live rock. What kind of sand is best and how deep should I go?
All answers accepted and appriciated.

dmitry

Sounds exciting!
The sand question is, I think, largely depends on your personal desires and tastes. Most people have 2-3'' sandbeds. And most people have white sand. I personally prefer the look of black sand.

rldavisou

I'd say a white aragonite bed about 2-3" deep. 240 reqires a lot of sand, so I'd buy most of it dry and just seed it with 40 or 50 lbs of live sand.

mcbdz

Thanks for replys so far. Still like more. Come on ya'll I know there are a lot more oppinions out there.
THrough in size of your favorite sand. I will go white. Just asking best depth for reef and size, type of sand.
Thanks

maxalmon

The sand bed helps to buffer the pH of the tank, 2" inches is fine.
Aragonite based sand is the best (you can verify this type of sand by taking a handfull of sand, adding some vinegar and if it bubbles and fizz's it aragaonite sand)
Silica based sand is kinda worthless, this what HomeDepot sells. I've never seen the brand, but people on the east coast say that "whitecastle" sand that's sold at home improvement stores is aragonite?
Black sand is just like silica based sand, just a black version. Looks good, but for a reef, I would go with the Aragonite, you can get it in various sizes. Don't get the really fine, powder (sugar) type as it blows all over the place.