new 250gal (need help)

runninfrom

hello,
I just set up a 250gal tank i bought from a friend the tank is setup for reef and fish.I have a 65 fish only(not by choose)so i dont know what fish and everything else i can put in this tank.I have a good size cleaner group in the tank.I want to get a larger number of fish , live rock,and coral to make the tank look great but from what i have been reading is that all the fish i like i cant.Like the red emporor snapper,puffers,and copper band butterflies.So any input on what you have done or what i can do.
Also i have 4 rio power heads in the tank (2)1700(1)2100(1)1100 is this over kill or good.
Thanks
john

startrfish

yeah your SOL with those fish you like. Grouper especially. I think you will find a nice selection of reef fish though if you research a little. Do you like tangs? they are nice fish to keep. the copperband may work but youll have to be careful.

runninfrom

I have in my 65 that i want to move
yellow tang,powder blue tang,clown trigger,lunar wrassp,sweet lips.
But i want to get more fish to kind of take up the space that the rock and cleaners dont fill i mean its a lot of tank for just a group of cleaners.
Why is the copper band so-so on reef tanks does it eat coral and what kind so i dont get one of the two.

dogstar

Congrats on the new tank. 250 is nice.:yes:
What I have done and what you can do is buy a couple of good books on fish compatability, aquarium reefs and corals and dont get in a hurry. $50 for books can save you $500/5000 in mistakes. And you will find yourself going to those books befor you even think about asking ppl.
Let us know all the spec. on what you have now, measurments. water test, lighting, filters , how much LR, LS, skimmers, UVs, reactors, equipment ,sumps/fuges, temps. ect. ect. FO and reefs are like night and day.
:thinking:

startrfish

because of the elongated snout. They can pick at some of the corals. A friend had one and started noticing damage to a few of his corals. He said it didnt start until almost a year after he introduced it. Course it could have been the types of corals he had that made the butterfly pick at it

A

andretti

Most butterflies are NOT reef safe; the only exception is the copper banded. Most will not pick at corals or anemones, but you have to monitor them. I have one in my 125 reef which is loaded with corals,anemones, and other inverts. He has never caused any problems, but some on this site have reported total wipeouts of their corals. But for the most part, they're o.k. for reefs.

startrfish

do you know any other butterflies that can be kept in a reef tank? you said "most" are not. what are some others.

runninfrom

Originally posted by Dogstar

Congrats on the new tank. 250 is nice.:yes:
What I have done and what you can do is buy a couple of good books on fish compatability, aquarium reefs and corals and dont get in a hurry. $50 for books can save you $500/5000 in mistakes. And you will find yourself going to those books befor you even think about asking ppl.
Let us know all the spec. on what you have now, measurments. water test, lighting, filters , how much LR, LS, skimmers, UVs, reactors, equipment ,sumps/fuges, temps. ect. ect. FO and reefs are like night and day.
:thinking:

I'm still in my mind new to the salt water fish.I have had my 65 for 3 years The guy in my town was full of it and every thing he told me was wrong so i hit memory clear and started over, i do have a few books but i see pics of tanks that have fish that arent good in a tank with what they have.
I got the 250 already setup it was up for 4 years and i saved half of the water when i moved it.The water tested good on everthing its been up for 2weeks in my house.So this is whats on it
2 404 flufuls one as a bateria bed and one as carbon,an ocean clear,4 rio power heads and the lights are two 50/50 bulbsone on each side.I aslo got with it was 2 double bulb setups to add to it.
I need to get a protein skimmer but after that im lost.I had a lot of problems with the 65 but stayed with it.I added a lot of cleaners (hermets ,snail the cleaner set up with swf.com)hoping that would help.So anything i need or that can help please tell me