New 300 gallon In-Wall tank build

edat

STUPID STUPID STUPID

So I had prepared the QT with water from the display earlier and was dripping the new Naso from the water in the QT... In the meantime I went out a bought a heater because the old one would not shut off. While I was out a picked up a 3" PVC tee and elbow so the Naso would have a place to hide. After about 3 1/2 hours of dripping I scooped the Naso out of the bucket. Its a small net so when the Naso started flopping around it almost came out...... so I kind of quickly turned and put the tang into the tank right before it did a belly flop on the floor.... All is good right? Until I realized that I had put the tang directly into the display and not the QT

It hid all day yesterday and I have only seen its tail today. Hopefully I will be able to get a better look at it later today. As far as I can tell it only had stress spots and not ich but it could be hard to tell depending on where it is in its life cycle. Ill try to get a pic later

edat

So I came downstairs to check on the tank and the Naso was swimming right along side the rest of the tangs. All of the stress spots appear to be gone. I put some nori in the clip to see if it would eat so I could get a up close look at it and once all the fish started attacking the nori it got spooked and hid behind the rocks again. Looks like it is eating bits of nori that come close to the area it is hiding in but I cant be 100% sure.

edat

Naso is out swimming the entire length of the tank. Following the yellows around most of the time.
I can just barley see the stress spots and from what I can tell right now no visible signs of ich.

edat

Decided to go to a LFS that I had not been to in awhile and picked up a Lopezi Tang and a Kole Tang

The Lopezi was getting harassed by the Naso but they have left each other alone for awhile now.

The Kole is the most active of all the tangs and within a few minuets had explored the entire tank.

Naso is still hanging out with the yellows....

lubeck

Looks good. How's your skimmer been handling the load? How much food are you going thru daily to feed all those tangs?

edat

From what I've been told and read about this skimmer I have more of room to grow.

"Recommended Tank Size: Up to 500 Gallon Light Bio-Load; 450 Gallon Medium Bio-Load; 400 Gallon Heavy Bio-Load"

300 gallon display +
75 gallon sump/fuge +
30 gallon frag tank =
around 350 gallons water volume ??

I'm about done with fish, there are only a few more that I know I want. My tangs are all pretty small right now so I'm only going through about a sheet of nori and a few cubes of frozen food a day.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/280#post_3533780
How are your corals and lights doing?
I have very little in the display: mushrooms a couple rocks that are spreading, a zoanthid colony on 2 separate rocks that are also spreading (I'm keeping the mushrooms and zoas separated from the rest of the rockwork so that they don't take over again), a big toadstool that now has one "baby", one rock with multiple candycanes, and one tiny frag of a pink birdsnest that is growing nicely.
I wanted to get all of the fish in before I started buying coral.
The AI Vegas are doing great.... I've been lucky that the Director has given me almost no issues. I'm running them at around 75% blues and 60% whites max now.
.......I still don't have a light for the frag tank yet...... but I don't have any frags in it other than left over mushrooms, candycane and zoas.

edat

Need suggestions for a few more fish. I know I want a melanurus wrasse, I had one in my old set up but I ended up selling it. It had lots of personality and was always visible in the tank.
I originally wanted a small group of Anthias but with the way I work I will not be able to feed them as often as needed.

justin s

nice tank. im marking for future reference. i am currentl building a house and am planning on doing the same thing with a 200 gallon tank that i have had sitting in storage for 6 years. except i am not doing a reef tank, but the setup will be close to the same thing.

edat

nice tank.   im marking for future reference.  i am currentl building a house and am planning on doing the same thing with a 200 gallon tank that i have had sitting in storage for 6 years. except i am not doing a reef tank,  but the setup will be close to the same thing.
Thanks!

edat

So I just got home from work about an hour ago. I came downstairs to check on the tank and after I turned the lights up a little bit I noticed that the Lopizi Tang was suck against the CL intake. I have no idea how long it was stuck on there. I have been at work for the last 13hrs. I got him out and put it into the QT. For now it is kinda swimming/floating around. Seems to be breathing semi-normal.
The eye that was pressed against the CL intake is halfway popped out. I will keep an eye on it for a few more minuets but I have to be back at work in 5hrs so we will see how it goes.
At this point I don't know if it will make it

restinbones

I'm in a similar situation with working crazy unpredictable hours.
But going to be downsizing.
Looking to build a nice nano with refuge and LEDs that's low maintenance,
The wife and kids are not much help in the upkeep.
I have to find a home for my large fish and the LFS is going out of business.

edat

The Lopizi died yesterday. From what my daughters told me I'm pretty sure that it was stuck against the intake all day. I ended up going in to work so I didn't have a chance to really check on the tank today. Ill get a good look at everything tomorrow. The lopizi looked like it might have had white spots on it but because it was stuck to the CL intake I couldn't tell for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestinBones http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/280#post_3534490
I'm in a similar situation with working crazy unpredictable hours.
But going to be downsizing.
Looking to build a nice nano with refuge and LEDs that's low maintenance,
The wife and kids are not much help in the upkeep.
I have to find a home for my large fish and the LFS is going out of business.
If you need someone to adopt your fish, I may be interested. I three large tanks.

If you are interested, PM me

edat

Finally got a few well deserved days off

All of the other fish are doing great. If I can find another Lopizi I will pick one up in the next couple of days before work gets crazy again.
I need to pick up a couple bigger and better heaters. I see now that the metal halides warmed the water in the day and the heaters maintained overnight. Since the LEDs put out virtually no heat the two small 250 watt heaters are not able to keep up with the tank in a cool basement.