New 55 gallon saltwater tank

fishrus4

We have a 30 gallon reef tank and have changed our 55 gallon fresh water tank to a Salt water tank (fish only) and have just completed the cycling process. We would like to know what are good fish combinations and what is the best for alge control.

fishrus4

non aggressive I think. Want alot of colorful fish. Got the 30 gallon reef tank for the coral look but want the 55 gallon to SHINE with fish.

barrera23

Blue Tangs, Lunar Wrasses, Pec Clowns, Lemon Peel Angels Etc....
The Blue Tang is blue, black and yellow, Lunar Wrasse is green, pink, yellow and blue, clown is orange, white and black and the Lemon peel Angel is Yellow with blue......That is a very colorful mix of non agresive fish ......some people might think of a better mix but thats my idea of a nice colorful tank

fishrus4

Thanks!! We have a Yellow Tang so the colors you suggested will be a great mix. Any suggestions for alge to keep things white??

beaslbob

Originally posted by fishrus4
We have a 30 gallon reef tank and have changed our 55 gallon fresh water tank to a Salt water tank (fish only) and have just completed the cycling process. We would like to know what are good fish combinations and what is the best for alge control.

the best algae control is none. Algae provides filtration and completes the nitrogen cycle. If you must (and most do) limit the ugly algae, the best way is to add nice looking macro algae and /or marine plants. The only drawback is that livestock eat the macro algae so it is hard to maintain. That is why many use refugiums to protect the macro.
For my 55g I used 5 plain old mollies to cycle the tank. they were inexpensive and extremely hardy. When we added the marine only fish we just gave the mollies back to a LFS.

broomer5

I'll leave fish selection up to you and others, but I will comment on algae control.
The very best way to minimize the chance of micro algae growing out of control - is to avoid the things that make it grow out of control in the first place.
Algae is a plant.
Plants love fertilizer.
Nitrates and phosphates are fertilizer for nuisance algae.
Plants love light
Old lights that have lost their usefulness - will give the algae what it wants.
Plants love CO2 gas.
Poor water circulation in the tank may lead to excess CO2 gas in solution.
Micro algae, red slime cynobacteria and a host of other green algaes that many of us consider to be nuisance algae - thrive on excess nutrients in the tankwater.
Excess nutrients being mainly nitrate, phosphate and dissolved organic compounds.
Nitrate is produced naturally if you feed the tank and have fish.
Nitrate and phosphate can come in from overfeeding, or using tapwater that contains either or both compounds.
Organic compounds are wastes from fish, excess uneaten food and other sluff from fish/inverts activity.
Poor lighting ( old lights or incorrect spectrum ) can and will lead to nuisance algae growth as well. Believe me - it's very true.
Ways to avoid;
Run a protein skimmer to remove DOC's.
Do regular water changes saltwater mixed from with RO or RO/DI water.
Do all evaporated top offs with RO or RO/DI water.
Do not overfeed.
Keep your number of fish low relative to the tank size.
Don't use cheap activated carbon that may contain phosphates.
Clean your filter media often.
Utilize a deep living sandbed ( DSB )
Utilize a macro algae refugium.
Do not place the tank near a window that received a lot of natural light.
Make sure you have great in tank water circulation.
Watch out using additives that may contain nitrate/phosphate.
Light the tank according to it's inhabitants needs - not yours.
Clean the glass often.
Get a super clean up crew consisting of your choice of snails, hermit crabs, some brittlestars, and possible a shrimp or two.
The more the better ( to a degree ) and the more diverse - the better too.
Keep your pH up around 8.2 / 8.3
These are just a few things that can help you reduce the chance of having nuisance algae growth.
The biggies that will lead to algae problems by far are;
Using tapwater that contains nitrate phosphate.
Overstocking with fish
Overfeeding
Old light bulbs or running the lights too long each day.
Poor maintenance on filter media
Normally - an awful algae bloom, or out of control tank covered with the green stuff is due to a combination of the above.
HTH