New 55g Tank

junyoungmin

Hi im new to the forum, although i have been going to this site for awhile.
I have recently got a good deal on a 55g tank. it came with a solid oak stand, tank, and filter for 60$
Right now i have a 20g with a 3 inch green spotted puffer in it that i am raising to full marine throughout its water changes.
I am in the process of cycling the 55g tank and dont want to stock it with fish until i get live rock. i will probably wait about a month.
the fish i want in the tank are:
1. my green spotted puffer when it gets to 3.5-4 inches
2. dwarf zebra lionfish (juvenile)
3. flame angel
4. yellow tang or a copperbanded butterfly
do yall think that is overstocking or just risky? i checked a fish compatibility test, but i know all fish have different personalities.
would yall risk it? what should i not put in?
thanks

matt b

Originally Posted by junyoungmin
Hi im new to the forum, although i have been going to this site for awhile.
I have recently got a good deal on a 55g tank. it came with a solid oak stand, tank, and filter for 60$
Right now i have a 20g with a 3 inch green spotted puffer in it that i am raising to full marine throughout its water changes.
I am in the process of cycling the 55g tank and dont want to stock it with fish until i get live rock. i will probably wait about a month.
the fish i want in the tank are:
1. my green spotted puffer when it gets to 3.5-4 inches
2. dwarf zebra lionfish (juvenile)
3. flame angel
4. yellow tang or a copperbanded butterfly
do yall think that is overstocking or just risky? i checked a fish compatibility test, but i know all fish have different personalities.
would yall risk it? what should i not put in?
thanks
are those all the fish in the 20g? if not and you are wanting to get these for your 55 then the yellow tang and butterfly are out they will get to big for that tank IMO

junyoungmin

no i only have the gsp in the 20g. the other fish are what i am wanting to get when i do stock the 55g. is there anything else i can put in other than the tang and butterfly then?

mtsuguy

Originally Posted by junyoungmin
no i only have the gsp in the 20g. the other fish are what i am wanting to get when i do stock the 55g. is there anything else i can put in other than the tang and butterfly then?
I have a 55, you got a dang good deal by the way (I paid $350 for the same set up). I have 2 black false percs a royal gamma and a black and white damsel. I want to get a raccoon butterfly, on here everyone says that they get too big but according to a growth chart I found on marine fish it takes them like 7 or 8 years to grow from 2 inches to 8 inches, which is their average largest captive growth. If they get too big for your tank you can always take it back to your lfs for store credit. Everyone on here is right about the tank being to small to permanently hold the fish but if you are planning an upgrade in a few years imo I think it would be fine to start in the smaller tank. I would not try the yellow tang, they do stress very easily from what I understand and even at the lfs they keep them in 55's alone w/ no LR. Threadfin butterflies are supposed to stay rather small and are one of the more hardy butterfly fish as well. However I would wait at least 6 months before the angel or the butterfly.

yannifish

How big do green spotted puffers get? I am thinking about getting one for my 40g fresh water. Do you know if they will get along with danios, angels, Gouramis, a shark, and a pleco?