New 56g tall tank

flower

I just purchased a 56g tall tank w/20g sump and stand.....So I'm going to cycle it and put my seahorses in there and then clean up the 30g by scrubbing it down and then sell it.
It's tomorrow...but...Happy Birthday to me...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank#post_3412861
Nice!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

LOL...It's in the car...I need help to get it out, my daughter is coming for a visit and the grandkids can help..they are big enough and I will take some pictures...I'm going to use the equipment from the 30g on it. Everything is geared for 60g so I should be fine.
I am putting new live sand in it. I have not decided if I want another rock wall...or paint the back.

mproctor4

Happy Birthday. That is the same size tank Kiefers has and it would make a great seahorse tank! It is fun to set up a new tank.

novahobbies

Yay!! Happy birthday to YOU! Can't wait to see what you do with it; I'm sure it will be spectacular.

flower

LOL...All this to be rid of hair algae the easy expensive way.
I'm going to scrub the 30g down once I have the horses transferred. In the mean time it's pluck and small water changes everyday...at least now there is an end in sight. Also instead of make do tanks and a metal stand I have a nice big tall tank and a nice good looking stand.
I am NOT going to put any nutrients in the sand for sea grass...The hair algae is feeding on it and growing so fast I can't keep up with it...it's a jungle in there. Once I let that sunlight in my poor beautiful tank has gone down hill. It isn't crashing, parameters are perfect..it just looks so ugly....I put all the coral I could in the 90g to keep it from being choked out....but the Kenya tree dropped so many linbs...I will have Kenya trees up the ying yang...I count 30 growing happy.
By the way...my stand is black and it's nice...but my bedroom furniture is white....If I'm going to do it....now would be the time....should I paint the stand, or do you think it will peel? It's a cheap pine stand one door.

teresaq

What are the dimentions of your new tank. I beleive mine is a 56 gal. its 36 lg, 18 wide and about 19 tall. its hard to measure because the tank sits down behind a molding.
I am hoping to tear mine apart this weekend. Too much algea an flat worms. I will move horses and fish to my 20 gal for a fwe days until I get everything cleaned.
T

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank#post_3412917
What are the dimentions of your new tank. I beleive mine is a 56 gal. its 36 lg, 18 wide and about 19 tall. its hard to measure because the tank sits down behind a molding.
I am hoping to tear mine apart this weekend. Too much algea an flat worms. I will move horses and fish to my 20 gal for a fwe days until I get everything cleaned.
T
You STILL have a flat worm issue??? How many times have you taken the tank apart already? There has to be a way to get rid of them

teresaq

Lois, yes I still have them. There are thousands. I suck them out and it seems like hundreds more show up. After I nuked my tank and lost 3 horses I would have thought they were gone, but nope. I added a mandrian - was told it would keep them down, lol its fat and happy but can not keep up. I am moving everything this time. I will take out all the rock- dip it and start from scratch. I am soo sick of them.
T

flower

I read the Blue velvet Nudibranch eats flatworms.
It says:
This specialized eater will consume flatworms in the aquarium. It sucks up the flatworms using a tube-like proboscis and makes a great natural alternative for flatworm control. However, it must be provided with a steady diet of flatworms in order to thrive. In addition, it is sensitive to rapid changes in water conditions and does not have a long life expectancy. Because of this, only expert aquarists should attempt to maintain this species
The tank is a column...30 X 18 X 25...I got a 20g tall for a sump. it will be nice to have a cabinet instead of the metal frame that's on the 30g...The 20g as a sump will only fill half way so I feel pretty secure that I can use the equipment off the 30g and refit the PVC spray bars to go in it. I didn't want to buy new equipment so I stayed as close to 60gs as possible...it will make an awesome SH tank....I can more than 4 now can't I?

teresaq

I would'nt add more then 2. you still only have a 30 inch tank jus a lot taller. you will can build some nice tall columns in this tank.
Have you seen the new product by marco rock for builing rock structures. looks interesting

flower

Excuse the mess...I have everything in my room all piled up to make room for the tank. I painted the back black. My room is so small and with the new tank, the 30g and my desk I can hardly get a picture..but here it is....
I have the 20g in bottom....no small task let me tell you.