New 80 Gallon Tank

blissninny

Although I have a few years of experience with saltwater tanks...I have always retrieved my fish directly from the ocean. Can't do that now and need advice on what to do with my new (old) tank. I set it up 4 days ago and think I have all the chemicles balanced enough to add damsels but want to know what kind and how many will be best for the conditioning of the tank and safety of the fish. Ultimately I want trigger and grouper in the tank but I understand I need to start with something else first. Any recommendations?

dogstar

Most members here will tell you that useing live fish to cycle a tank is CRUEL. To just drop in a dead shrimp or simular from the grocery store or LFS.

blissninny

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Most members here will tell you that useing live fish to cycle a tank is CRUEL. To just drop in a dead shrimp or simular from the grocery store or LFS.
Are you serious? I wouldn't just discard the fish. I already asked the provider is they would take them back and they agreed. Seriously, what should I put in the tank and for how long?

dogstar

Originally Posted by Blissninny
Are you serious?
Yep. just do a search here on cycle.....https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/178984/beginning-tank-cycle
Also most Groupers and some Triggers should not go in a 80g, too small.
I dont know how long ago you used to have your other tank, but a lot has changed in the hobby as far as ethics and what should and should not be done so...
I will just say to you to take your time and try to re=educate yourself with newer Ideas and not listen too much to the LFS because they mostly just want to sell you anything they can talk you in to buying.
I say this with respect and dont mean to critisize you but I think you will enjoy your new tank much better if you do.
search and countinue to read this and other sites for a wealth of imformation.
BTW, welcome to this site.

blissninny

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yep. just do a search here on cycle.....https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/178984/beginning-tank-cycle
Also most Groupers and some Triggers should not go in a 80g, too small.
I dont know how long ago you used to have your other tank, but a lot has changed in the hobby as far as ethics and what should and should not be done so...
I will just say to you to take your time and try to re=educate yourself with newer Ideas and not listen too much to the LFS because they mostly just want to sell you anything they can talk you in to buying.
I say this with respect and dont mean to critisize you but I think you will enjoy your new tank much better if you do.
search and countinue to read this and other sites for a wealth of imformation.
BTW, welcome to this site.
I did my homework and added 2 raw shrimp to my tank when I got home from work last night and will wait to see what happens. How do you feel about the LS/LR? My husband thinks the rock inhabitants will die if we put it in now. Thank you for the welcome and do you have any pics of your tank?

dogstar

IMO, its best to place the rock and sand in at the beginning so all cycles together. The rock is the best surface for the proper bacteria to grow on as it feeds from and transforms the ammonia produced from the dead shrimp and die off in the rocks and provides great large surface area for it. The sand will become alive with surviving micro fana and critters from the rock that will also benefit the system with clean up and filtering abilities and possible natural food sourses for future livestock.
Test the toxin levels as the cycle progresses and do small water changes to try to keep the levels low ( ppms ) so as to minimize the killing of these critters ( hitchikers ) and run skimmer as well and even lights if you think there could be suviveing photosynthetic animals like corals or macro algaes that you may want to enjoy discovering.
As with many other topics, many people have differing opinions on BEST ways of cycleing and other practices and this is just mine. As you learn and think logically about things, some of this just comes down to common sense.
Once your tank is ready for livestock then you can research your choices befor you buy them to decide if they will work. Think about how large they grow and if they will get along with other tankmates and what they feed on , ect. Add livestock slowly so that the bioload produced by them does not overwelm the filtering bactiria and cause the toxic levels to start a new cycle. It needs to be able to keep up and increase as the load is increased.
I dont mean to seem that you might not understand some of this or allready know but just trying to help.
I have had three different reef tanks in the last 5 years and like many knew very little at the start and made many mistakes. I wish I had reserched ( books, websites, ect. ) alot of stuff befor I started and relied less from what the LFSs would say.
These are pics of the 150g I have now and the 180g I had to take down in an emergency because of a leak and some of the critters I keep.

blissninny

Your tank is absolutely beautiful! How much LR do you have in it? I guess I really have very little experience in SW tanks...we got our stuff from snorkling - all of it (anemone, rock, fish, eel, crab, lobster, seahorse etc. I want to have just as nice a tank but realize I'm in for a challenge. My ammonia was up this morning when I checked it of which I was excited about because it means "something" is happening. I still need a skimmer and maybe some extra lighting...not sure. It's a little discouraging to see your tank, knowing I am so far from that joint. Hey, but thanks for the pics! I tried to order LR from this site but they are all out. Any suggestions? Sand is easy.

dogstar

Sand, " easy. " Ha.
Theres a lot of discussion and debate on that one subject alone...
What type such as aragonite verses crushed coral or gravel and how deep is best for denitrfication or to keep alive with critters or to keep it clean and what size as in small grains or larger and some people dont even use a substrate in their tanks ( bare bottom ) and whats best with/for certain species or what species is best with certain substrates, ect., ect., so on and so on.
Many laws now about collecting youself and IMO thats a good thing.
If you decide you want a tank with fish that can not be in with corals or crustations, aka, fish only or aggressive tank, then intensity and wattages of lighting is not as important. If you want a reef, then it is very important.
I have 200 lbs of Figi LR in my tank and about 30 more in the refugium filter/sump. I have not bought LR in a long time so Im out of the loop on the best places, sorry. May want to just try to find some nice ones locally, will cost more but at least you see what you getting. Pre cured can help speed up cycle some as well.
I understand the excitement of wanting to quickly have your tank nice and stocked, but once again I must suggest to have patience and take your time and continue to learn as much as possible.
Thanks for the compliments. Didnt want to discourage but hoped to incourage you to want to do things right. hehe :)