New Addition

verojeremy

I got an alveopora today I have been watching it at lfs and it has great polyp extension good colors and was looking healthy.
I got it about 3 hours ago.
It is already starting to show about 1/4 polyp extension and it is in the sand at the bottom low flow.

verojeremy

I will try to get a better pic before lights go out. How long should it take for most of the polyps to extend if it likes the spot it is in, 3 to 7 days?
Is my placement good for it you think I have it as low as possible in the sand and it is getting some flow but not as much as my frogspawn so i think its low to low medium. It is not touching anything so far and isn't that close to anything.
I also run a skimmer-less tank so that should help and I do dose phyto/zoo plankton.

verojeremy

Bump.
Lights are about to go out so I think that would be the best time to move it so if I should someone plz say soon.

verojeremy

But now to my surprise my dad moved it to a lower flow area because he thought it was getting to much flow so I moved it back again, I know your not supposed to move it, it stresses it , but it does seem like it is getting a lot of flow because I have the 1050 and it's all the way on the other side but it hits the glass and it goes down right on to the alveopora but it seemed to open. So I will see how it goes but please someone help me out here so I can stop stressing it and myself.

btldreef

You need to leave this coral alone. Moving it around is going to kill it. Goniopora and Alveopora are both very difficult corals to care for in the home aquarium and exert a lot of energy just getting their polyps to extend. The more you stress them and cause the polyps to extend and retract, the more harm you're doing. You also need to make sure that when you do touch them, you're touching the base and NOT anywhere near where the polyp extension is. This is one of those corals that I absolutely recommend handling with gloves on. I've seen numerous gonioporas and alveoporas with finger marks on them, the oil on your skin is enough to kill them, especially when they're already stressed.
IMO, this is not a good choice of coral for a beginner, or a young tank and you're going to have to take extra caution to keep it healthy. A lot of places claim that they're easier than goniopora, but I have yet to see that be the way. Most people don't have luck with either. Leave it in low flow, with moderately low lighting and LET IT ACCLIMATE.
Good luck

verojeremy

I know they are difficult, I only touch the base and i did use gloves, I thought that they didn't like perfect water conditions, not saying mine are bad and I also run a skimmer-less system. I do feed my corals and I do take caution with this and I do seem to have pretty good luck. Thank you to btld.