New agressive fish tank

myckei

I am starting an agressive tank, and I wanted some advice about new fish for the tank. My wish list is a clown trigger,tin foil or look down as some call them, and a blue ribbon eel to start with. I've read up and looked at compatibility charts and all say go, but I'd like to get real life stories before I buy.
All replies, thanks in advance!!

goldfish

Welcome aboard!
From what I've heard, blue ribbon eels are not the best choice. Snowflakes are a much easier breed to take care of.
Lookdown or foil fish as you call them for some reason I'm thinking are a no-no. (Trey I believe you had a discussion the other day about these fish)I think you need to have a much larger tank for them and "perfect conditions." Please do not quote me on that, but be patient and get more information from people on here--especially the sharks who have a broader base of knowledge than me.
Again, welcome aboard! You are on the best swf message board!!

grouperhead

skip the ribbon eel, 99.99% of them dont eat and die in captivity. you wont be able to get a lookdown either. they are a schooling fish and need a very large tank to be able to school and thrive. they also arent very hardy in the aquarium. a clown trigger could stay in there for a while, but eventually he will probably get too big. here are some cool fish that can go in a 75. eels(snowflake, zebra, chainlink), hogfish(coral, cuban, spanish), wrasses (lunare, sunset, any thalassoma), hamlets (blue, butter, shy, etc), triggers ( most all of them except the ones that get really big like clowns, queens, and undulates are just to dang mean), and squirrelfish. do some research and find out about 3-4 fish that wou want. hth, bo

puppy

i have also heard things about blue ribbon eels dieing.black edged eels are really neat.i used to have one, thn one day it commited suicide by jumpin out of the tank =( picasso triggerfish are really neat ! they get about 9 inches, eat almost everything you offer and arent lazy. they are hardy and one of the more peaceful triggers.

pufferlover

Agreed skip the blue ribbon go with snowflake or if you can find one a Golden eel. Both are hardy and become great eaters and pets. They do like to try to get out of a tank so a tight fitting lid with as little open space on top a must. The list given you by Grouperhead is a good one to consider. Just remeber with aggressive fish you can not crowd a tank it will be a disaster in the end. You must consider eventual sizes and attitudes, and I did not see you list the size tank you want to do (that is important for us to help guide you). Post some more info and see what the members come up with for you.

skirk

Plus, I don't know what compatability chart that was you seen that said to set it up that way, but I would never put a ribbon eel in with a clown trigger. Eel eating well or not (probably wouldn't), but the chances of him getting ate (or at least "picked at") are pretty good. I doubt a clown would leave a pretty little eel like that alone throughout his lifetime. Just my opinion.