New avatar

I'm posting this in the New Hobbyist forum because I kinda think that no matter how long that I'm in the hobby, that I will always be new... there is always something new we can learn. Even though I have given my opinion on things in the short time I have visited this site I still continue to learn alot.
But anyway my avatar is a pic of the puffer I kept. I remember a post I responded to that someone was asking about making a puffer puff, and I thought it was a bad idea(to MAKE a puffer puff).
But this was Puffy the Guppy Slayer. I had many names for him, Puffy for short, Puff daddy, P diddy, etc... I use to sing Puff the magic dragon to him:D . I thought it was funny at the time.
I lost him just over a week ago 09/08/03. He was the best fish I had in the tank, the original. It was his tank.
He was survived by a Yellow tang, a Sail fin and a Red Cardinal still in the tank now(I know, I've been told before, 45 too small).
I was battling ICH for a good 2 weeks. The puffer looked like he was covered in cotton. The 2 tangs got a little of it to including black ICH but the Puffer had it the worst. I medicated and medicated with copper(I have a FO). At one point I think I over medicated. I swiched to Malachite Green but still lost the fish:( .
I have been keeping a close eye on the tank and have seen no trace of if ICH since.
I do my 10% water changes every saturday and in between med's I did one and used charcoal to take out the copper (the puffer perked up a little). And now for 2 weeks I will put med's in at half dose, already did it once, one more to go just to make sure its gone.
I don't want to say what brought on the sickness...It could have been the live guppies I fed, or the fact that I used my LFS's diatom filter a few weeks before... but I would have to go with choice C... over population??
What do you think?
I do wish the little guy was still around:( but it's hard to play GOD sometimes.
Lesson learned in the worst way.
Frank

dacia

I'm so sorry to hear about your puffer! I love pufferfish, but they are too aggressive to be kept in my tanks.
Have you tried hyposalinity? About a month ago, ich stuck in one of my tanks. My blue tang was sick with it, but thankfully that was the only sick fish. Anyway, after going to the disease and treatment forum I decided to perform hypo. This is a picture of my blue tang that was taken last night after hypo:

ross

Sorry to hear about your puffer:( I think the ick outbreak was because of overcrowding too. Two tangs is too much for a 45g.

aarone

Sorry to hear about your puffer I think the ick outbreak was because of overcrowding too. Two tangs is too much for a 45g.
I agree it was probably from stress.