new bali slimer!

mkzimms

picked up a few frags from a local reefer this weekend! i was able to get my hands on some armageddon zoas, blowpop zoas, yellow w/ purple polyped birdsnest a huge chunk of montipora digitata....
and my favorite piece, this blinding green bali slimmer for $15, and boy does this thing slime. see how much gel i had to use to stick it to the plug, i should really get some epoxy clay. its about 2.5 inches long, great polyp extension and its so bright i need sunglasses.

ill take pics of the rest of the frags tomorrow when the lights come on but i had to get this baby up here right away, im very excited. behind it on the rack is a large piece of monti cap i bought at the atlantis marine world LIRA swap meet with the boston and manhattan reefers. and to the right is a teal millipora from another local reefer.

mkzimms

is there anyway to force an sps to branch? i have heard you could use a razor and make a cut across one of the polyps and it would branch there like you would with a banzai tree to kind of sculpt the look of the coral. this is only hearsay, ive never tried it. the other way ive heard would be to glue the frag on its side on the plug instead of straight up and down.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2741203
is there anyway to force an sps to branch? i have heard you could use a razor and make a cut across one of the polyps and it would branch there like you would with a banzai tree to kind of sculpt the look of the coral. this is only hearsay, ive never tried it. the other way ive heard would be to glue the frag on its side on the plug instead of straight up and down.
Ive never heard of such a thing, but with how finicky SPS can be, Im not going to touch mine with a razor any time soon

rebelprettyboy

Never heard of cuttin the polyp with a razor. But I glued a frag sideways and it bracnhed out the fastest like that... So that will work. Depends o how u want it to look right now...

mkzimms

alright that will be the new experiment.
sliced polyp vs. horizontal mount
what interval should i take pictures at? 1 a day or more like 1 a week. what do you thing would show the best when i turn them into a time lapse after?

paintballer768

Make a new thread to draw interest. Take pics at first, but Id say every 2 weeks or so to show any growth.
I know gluing a frag horizontally definitely makes it grow more branches quicker, makes the frags look more full.

peef

I would take pics at a one week interval. I know my SPS has a definete noticable growth on a weekly interval. They all grow like freaken weeds for me.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2741654
I would take pics at a one week interval. I know my SPS has a definete noticable growth on a weekly interval. They all grow like freaken weeds for me.
Dont
nx it, one of my frags thats been growing for about 2 weeks is starting to show a little faded color on one side's tips. Im hoping its just new branches beginning to form. It came a little quick so Im assuming bleaching is beginning.

aquaknight

Beautiful slimer. If it ever gets out of hand, lemme know, I have a Hawaiian Puffer that likes to control his beak on Bali Slimers...

gatorwpb

my slimer was almost horizontally mounted and it has grown a bunch of branches. it is also a very fast grower in general. I do think there is something to the horizontal mounting.

mkzimms

i just checked and i have run out of plugs. im going to pick up some glue and order plugs tomorrow. as soon as they come in ill be starting the experiment.
anyone know what the idea behind the horizontal mount success is? is it the obvious reason, growing towards the light?

texasmetal

If you snap it instead of cut it, it will grow new points in different directions. Been doing quite a bit of fragging technique research lately.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2743378
anyone know what the idea behind the horizontal mount success is? is it the obvious reason, growing towards the light?
Thats basically it. More of the individual polyps are facing the light. thus they grow quicker.