new beginner contiunes

badfet

Sorry, forgot to mention that the tank also has two power heads, a skimmer, and heater. I also would like to know can I set my rock on top of the sand, or should it just go around the rock. Im just begining and can use all the help I can get. One day I would like to have some corals in the tank, but I read somewhere that would require a more powerful lightening source, my question is that a light came with my tank, can I use this lightening system with a more powerful bulb change? and last does it matter if the background on the tank is black, or colorful ?

drkegel

While cycling (read my reply to your other post) keep the skimmer off - this will help speed up the cycle. You should leave the PH's (powerheads) on and the heater as well. Try to keep your water temp around 80 degrees.
The lighting system that came with your tank is probably noraml output flourescent. If you are looking at keeping corals, I would look seriously at either power compacts (PC's) or metal halides (MH). This is a widely debated topic on these boards though, so do your own research to determine what's best for you. Neither of these lights will work with the light strip that came with your tank.
You can put the rock on the sand, bury it in the sand, or do whatever you'd like with it. Many people glue their rock together with a marine safe glue so it stays put and doesn't fall over.
Do a search on these boards for the following keywords, and you'll find a wealth of information about all your questions:
cycle, lighting, metal halide, power compact, live rock, deep sand bed (dsb), water temperature, RO/DI
Good luck!