New BioCube 32 Owner, Looking for Suggestions

thefishguy27

Hi All! My name is Mike and i am the proud new owner of a Biocube 32. This is my first salt water fish tank and i am extremely excited. Does anyone have a bio cube and have any suggestions for me? It is sitting on the stand but i am not sure of what my next steps should be. All comments are welcome :)

jay0705

Research,research, and more research. This is not something to rush into, that said its very fun.
Rt now for you look into cycling a sw tank. Look into live rock, base rock, and argonite sand.
For your size tank, look into clown fish,dart fish, gobys, basslets, shrimp and other inverts

thefishguy27

iThank you for the quick reply! I will definitely keep doing my research and am really eager to start the cycling process. I unboxed the BioCube 32 last night and I am trying to familiarize myself with its components. This may sound pretty silly but the instructions don't show you what to do with the different plugs/cords. Is anyone familiar with the set up of this tank? I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks

jay0705

Lol that doesn't surprise me. Personally iam not familar, but iam sure someone will chime in who is.

jay0705

That i can help you with. Make sure your rock is well place deep in the sand bed on the bottom of the tank. This helps keep it from moving, or being moved by inhabitants. How you lay it out is pretty much personal preference. I try and find rocks with holes in them for fish to hide/sleep in.

Diggy

I have just set up a 32 biocube.. after a 25 year hiatus from the hobby. Things are much more convenient but basic rules the same..I started with the agri mix(not available back in the day )not the fine sand but one a little coarser , makes vacuuming easier later. Two nice pieces of coral rock not live. I let the water circulate for a few days before adding agri sand, don’t wash it.. it’ll be more cloudy but won’t lose the bacteria.
I found the instructions to be easy to follow.
The cord situation is simple , pump, lights and protein skimmer. Everything has a place. I don’t use a heater, I live in Florida and keep the house around 74-75 dogs. I’m not crazy about the biocube skimmer height but it’s still works better than nothing..
Cycling was completed quickly, about 3 weeks using one dead shrimp and two yellow tail damsels and a percula clown. I’ve since added a pink tip and and a piece of sea mat coral.
I’m five weeks in going thru the diatom phase, added a few trochis snails and they’re busy and three small red leg hermits to eat up waste.
The big advantage is the led lighting solves big issue. (Cumbersome light fixtures, heat, finding correct combination of bulbs etc.) the timer takes a while to figure out but is easily mastered. Lastly, I’ve recently added Purigen to one of the filter media shelves..I set it up with tap water but plan on just buying 5 gal r/o for water changes, as I haven’t researched my local water supply yet.
I realize I’ve pushed the time limits of cycling and set up because I’m not a patient person but without prior education get a good marine test kit..