New Build

veni vidi vici

I'm thinking about a 24" cube (60gal) havent decided if I want to go glass or acrylic yet. I have a old 75 gal for a fudge . Its going to require me to be creative when building the cabinet and hood but I think I can do it. Any thoughts on tank size?
I'm choosing 24" so I can use my old 250w MH light. I have 3 ballasts and fixtures from a previous build.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3539897
I'm thinking about a 24" cube (60gal) havent decided if I want to go glass or acrylic yet. I have a old 75 gal for a fudge . Its going to require me to be creative when building the cabinet and hood but I think I can do it. Any thoughts on tank size?
I'm choosing 24" so I can use my old 250w MH light. I have 3 ballasts and fixtures from a previous build.

Hi,

All that trouble for 24 inches....Go big as you can, and ditch the Metal halides for LEDs, the MHs run hot. You can always select an area to run the MHs over it for certain corals, and run LED satellites
for the other side, center or whatever is still in the dark. JMO

veni vidi vici

Hi,
All that trouble for 24 inches....Go big as you can, and ditch the Metal halides for LEDs, the MHs run hot. You can always select an area to run the MHs over it for certain corals, and run LED satellites
 for the other side, center or whatever is still in the dark. JMO
Hi Flower,
I dont know that i wanna go big again. I want a 24" deep tank, so my options are 24"cube,90 gal,or a 180 gal. I might consider a 90. That size with a 75 gal fudge would give me enough volume to make the water params easier to keep stable but i definitely don't wanna go 180 for a few reasons. I have everything i need to start up a new reef tank with the exception of the tank itself including lights. I may switch to LED eventually but for now im gonna stick with what i have at hand.
My goal is to go SPS with a few fish.It will be a while before I can start introducing SPS for the obvious reasons but for now i wanna keep it budget friendly and simple.That is until i get started again and loose all self control and reason.
When i last had my tank up and running LED was fairly new and untested,ill have to start doing some research and see where it leads me.Im sure however its gonna lead me to parting with cash.:laughing:

E

eric b 125

What just happened? VVV: is that the tank you're going to buy or did you somehow decide on a tank, set it up, and fill it in 4.5hrs? BTW, welcome back!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3539947
Hi Flower,
I dont know that i wanna go big again. I want a 24" deep tank, so my options are 24"cube,90 gal,or a 180 gal. I might consider a 90. That size with a 75 gal fudge would give me enough volume to make the water params easier to keep stable but i definitely don't wanna go 180 for a few reasons. I have everything i need to start up a new reef tank with the exception of the tank itself including lights. I may switch to LED eventually but for now im gonna stick with what i have at hand.
My goal is to go SPS with a few fish.It will be a while before I can start introducing SPS for the obvious reasons but for now i wanna keep it budget friendly and simple.That is until i get started again and loose all self control and reason.
When i last had my tank up and running LED was fairly new and untested,ill have to start doing some research and see where it leads me.Im sure however its gonna lead me to parting with cash.

???...LOL...I thought you meant a 24" cube, you said 60g, I was thinking maybe you meant liters...but the 75g sump really sounded off to me (since I would use that 75g instead for the display, then you talked about having to work at a stand for the oddness of the pair...not 24" deep...90g. Obviously I was confused.

I have a 90g, I like it.... because it isn't too large, nor too small, so it's pretty easy on stability and it doesn't take a whole lot to run. My sump equals about 38g, it's in two pieces and 18g of it is a refugium.

veni vidi vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3539966

???...LOL...I thought you meant a 24" cube, you said 60g, I was thinking maybe you meant liters...but the 75g sump really sounded off to me (since I would use that 75g instead for the display, then you talked about having to work at a stand for the oddness of the pair...not 24" deep...90g. Obviously I was confused.

I have a 90g, I like it.... because it isn't too large, nor too small, so it's pretty easy on stability and it doesn't take a whole lot to run. My sump equals about 38g, it's in two pieces and 18g of it is a refugium.
I think it may be my sentence building skills rather than you being confused Flower ,lol.
I think you have convinced me to go with the 90 gal though. It will pair up better with my 75 gal refugium /sump dimension wise and make it a whole heck of a lot easier to build the base and hood.I also still have all my parts and plumbing for my coast to coast overflow that will work nicely with a 90.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3539979
I think it may be my sentence building skills rather than you being confused Flower ,lol.
I think you have convinced me to go with the 90 gal though. It will pair up better with my 75 gal refugium /sump dimension wise and make it a whole heck of a lot easier to build the base and hood.I also still have all my parts and plumbing for my coast to coast overflow that will work nicely with a 90.

Hi,

I don't know what a coast to coast overflow is...the only thing I know about sumps...will fit in a tiny, tiny box. I have learned only one thing very well...if you are going to have a sump system, have the tank drilled. I have a CPR overflow box, and I HATE the lifter pump that goes with it. The new venture type power heads that can used instead, have a weird nub that doesn't fit very tight with an air line, making it necessary to jerry rig it to work.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3539979
I think a 90g would work well for you paired with the 75g sump tank. It sounds like this should be a quick(ish) build. Following!!

Flower,

A coast to coast is an overflow system that puts an external overflow box the full length of the back of the tank. It gives you a lot of options for they style of overflow you want to run (bean animal, herbie, durso). HTH's

veni vidi vici

Wow...looks complicated. Is that all drain towards the sump, or is part of it a return channel? LOL...At least I know it's drilled.
Top 3 pipes are part of the over flow and the lower 2 are part of the Closed loop

veni vidi vici

I think a 90g would work well for you paired with the 75g sump tank.  It sounds like this should be a quick(ish) build.  Following!!
Flower,
A coast to coast is an overflow system that puts an external overflow box the full length of the back of the tank.  It gives you a lot of options for they style of overflow you want to run (bean animal, herbie, durso).  HTH's
I still have a ton of work... build stand and hood are first on list.... as well as cleaning up all my old equipment.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3540015
I still have a ton of work... build stand and hood are first on list.... as well as cleaning up all my old equipment.

Hi,

Glad you started a build thread, I will follow along, I have only heard of the "loop" system, and I would like to learn. Not that I could ever actually BUILD anything, but it's interesting.

veni vidi vici

Here is my other build if your interested until this one gets going
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/319838/125-reef-tank-build

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3540022
Here is my other build if your interested until this one gets going
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/319838/125-reef-tank-build

Hi,

LOL...I fixed my post, I just realized this was titled "New build" ...I will check out the other build too. Thanks

E

eric b 125

VVV: I remember years ago getting info on C2C/ BeanAnimal overflows from you. I finally went and did it on my 125 last year (narrow internal weir, external box) and it's one of my favorite upgrades to my system.
Here's a question for you: I'm upgrading to a 48 x 36 x 25" 190 and it has a center overflow w/ 3 holes (two 1.5" and one 1"). I was wondering how a herbie stacked up to a BeanAnimal? I figured it's equally as quiet but without the 2nd failsafe emergency drain? I want to use the 1" hole as my return. I'm sick of having visible plumbing, lol