New Bulb Anenome

lenard

I bought this anenome three or four days ago. It looks fine but it is under a rock in the shodows. The foot has a lot of color but the tenticles are deflated. I have fluoresent lighting with lots of sunlight through the window. Should i move it or let it be?:jumping:

aburitojr

i dont wanna sound like a jerk but you seriously should think about researching animals before you get them. Anemones need the highest lighting possible which is metal halides. Currently, you have a bulb tip anemone under the lowest lighting that an aquariust can get. I suggest you either return it or give/sell the anemone to some one. Currently, it is slowly dieing. You may get another one once you have the proper lighting.

lenard

Thank you for the insight. However, as you may or may not be aware there is a lot of false information out there. This is the first anenome that I have had the desire to own. I bought it from a store that I have been doing buisness with for many years and was told that the lighting that i currently have is sufficiant. That is what I get for trusting a store owner. I have never had an interest in corals or anenomes until reacently and i am still learning.

aburitojr

i know lenard...i hate it when people sell things and give wrong information just to make $$$. For coral, i'd reccomend Aquariums Corals by Eric H. Borneman. The book contains lots of info and the author's email address. For information of clowns and anemones i'd recommend Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. As i said earlier, i'd return the anemone and wait a little bit until your tank matures and you get stronger lighting.
A free site for really good information is

jacknjill

what kind of lighting do you have exactly?
by the way, sunlight is bad for the tank. causes tons of algae and other things. keep it from hitting the tank if possible.

aburitojr

jacknjill im gonna havta dissagree with you lol. check this site out.
Stop posting these links they are not allowed on this site.

jacknjill

im not saying you cant have a good tank with sunlight. what im saying is.....
1) it can cause huge algae blooms
2) it doesn't count toward your total wattage, so its not gonna help his anenome
3) it can raise the temperature of the tank and cause faster evaporation, raising the salinity level.
so its better just to eliminate it if possible

sula

Well, I just don't see that any of us have answered lenard's question. Lenard, as far as moving your anemone, I would not move it, it might just need time to adjust. However, it won't last long if you have normal output fluorescent lighting, which is why we want to know exactly what you have. I do not agree that Metal Halide is an absolute must for a BTA, but definitely something more than Normal Output will be needed.
Hope this helps -

T

thomas712

lenard -
Welcome to the baord

I wish you more sucess than I had in the begining.
I had a 55 gallon tank with 80 watts of normal ouput lighting. I had purchased 1 conylactis anemone, it died. I purchased another one....it also died, just melted away like the other. I then purchased a BTA or Bubble tip anemone. With the same lighting it slowly shrunk down to the size of a golfball. It looked absolutly pathetic. I upgraded my lighting to 380 watts of VHO. The BTA took off, it grew to the size of a softball and then split within 3 or 4 months.
I agree with what JacknJill on the sunlight issue so I'll not comment further on it. I only wish natural sunlight would help.
As far as your new anemone behavior at the moment, you can expect him to inflate and deflate normally during the first couple of weeks, also it might even take a walkabout around the tank in search of a good spot for itself. I'd personally leave it alone for at least the first two weeks to see what it prefers.
Thomas

lenard

Thanks guys! I have 2 48 in 40w lights. 1 is 50% blue, the other is 100% blue. What I dont understand is if the light isn't sufficient, then why is it in the shadows under a rock? I would think that if it is indeed a lighting problem, then it would seek more light not hide from it.

T

thomas712

I can only guess as to why it is hiding right now. The first two weeks is an acclimation/orientation for any anemone in my opinion. Its very likely to move withint the first two weeks or so. Right now its just stopping to get accustom to things. The natural sunlight might also be causing it some concern, but I can't say for absolute sure.
I've been keeping the BTA's for 4.5 years now, mine seem to like the right side of the tank with a few on the far left side. I have about 10 on one rock at the right side, one low and toward the back and 3 on the left side of the tank. They find their spot and stay.
When I had my 80 watts I was using two 48 inch bulbs as well. One was a URI 50/50 and the other was a URI actinc blue. Both were normal output. From my experience it seemed doomed.
I would just keep an eye on it and really consider some better lighting as well as a tank move where you don't get all that natual sunlight which IMO will cause some bad algeas to happen, especially cynobacteria.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.
Thomas