New Choco Chip Star for Bitten

jayson417

Hello,
I finally got my Choco Star i always wanted and today when i went to my tank to see the little guy i find a hermit crab latched on trying to bite him. After i moved him off i notice 2 scratches of sorts on him and one of his little tentacles broken off and stuck on the glass. I'm not worried about the tent as he has like 300 but the bites i am. Please help :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to see if one of mods can answer you who has experience with starfish. In the meantime, hermit crabs need to go. They cause more trouble in the aquaria...

ophiura

If water parameters are ideal, it should not be a problem. Please post your parameters.
But if I recall you have a very large hermit...and a puffer? I may not remember correctly. If so, however, these are not remotely compatible with the star and ultimately the star will die.

jayson417

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3095054
If water parameters are ideal, it should not be a problem. Please post your parameters.
But if I recall you have a very large hermit...and a puffer? I may not remember correctly. If so, however, these are not remotely compatible with the star and ultimately the star will die.
Water Para:
Ammon=0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
PH 8.3
The Hermit Crab has since been removed and the puffer has always been in another tank :)
He seems to be healing without issue.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by Jayson417
http:///forum/post/3098205
Water Para:
Ammon=0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
PH 8.3
The Hermit Crab has since been removed and the puffer has always been in another tank :)
He seems to be healing without issue.
I have the same star too. They are suppose to be one of the faster moving starfish. I wish I could help. I have a puffer with mine, and he doesn't bother the starfish. The only fish that is curious about the star is my angelfish. Every fish is different though, so just watch it. The bite marks will grow back slowly. Good luck.