New Clam from Saltwaterfish.com is this a problem

reefchaser

Hey guys and gals I just wanted to get your thoughts on this clam that i recieved from saltwater fish.com on tuesday November 10. The clam is a derasa and the intake syphon is pushed off to one side and there is a big area of discoloration on the right side of its mantel. I can assure you this is how I recieved the clam. So what are your thought should I start a ticket.

cranberry

Wait now, are you saying that area to the right that kind of looks like it should be the intake is bleached? That's central line bleaching, if it is, it's severe. Yes, make a ticket or whatever that means :) It was sick before it arrived.

nycbob

pretty bad bleaching. one of my buddy also got a derasa here last week, and it died shortly after. perhaps it was a bad batch swf.com received.

candycane

It looks like the bleached out area, well I don't know what that is to tell you the truth. It still has "vein" coloration running through that area and looks as if there is a hole at the top? I can't really make out the photo. Is that a hole at the top of the white patch? If it is, it might have been cut and slit down that section somehow. If that is not a hole, then it's centralized bleaching (most likely) - I can't really see where it starts. Central = middle, Localized = can and usually are, all over the place; but patchy - then Generalized = just nearly a complete loss of color all over the clam.

reefchaser

Candycane no there is no hole in the mantel just a bleached area. I recieved a rather nasty response from the claim ticket that is blaming me or the shipper and I do not like it I have spent Over $300 on live stock from this company in the last three months because I thought they had good customer service so without fearther ado here is kims response to me.
"Hello,
I have checked with ORA and they have not had any problems with Derasa's. This is the only report of a derasa having problems.
It has been suggested that perhaps there was an issue during shipping or a fish has picked at it?
I cannot reship a clam to you, it does not meet the qualifications for reship.
I suggest you place a claim for a credit on the clam.
Go to order status, log in and click on request refund credit. Fill out the form and attach the pciture again and we will issue full credit for this item.
Why did you wait 3 days before questioning the appearance of the clam?
Is it still doing well?"
Thanks for your e-mail,
https://www.saltwaterfish.com
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/support

reefchaser

So now I have to submit it for credit I guess but in I do not think that I should have to pay for shipping on the new clam being that it is a replacement animal because I received a sick one. I do not want to repay for shipping for someone elses screw up am I wrong on this. Candycane, do you still sell clams? Because I live in Colorado and if I am forced to pay shipping agian I will just come to you from now on.

nycbob

sorry to hear. no online vendor would re-ship any dead or injured animal. it seems like swf.com has slipped a bit recently. my buddy placed an order recently with a free ricordia, but swf.com forgot to put it in the order. eventhough your derasa is bleached, it can still recover with good water parameters.

reefchaser

This clam was dead when i got home this morning, so how is it fair to make me repay for shipping and meet the minimum order requirement when this was either the shippers fault or saltwaterfish.com's fault. In any onther bussiness they would replace something that was defective as long as it falls under there gaurantee and was reported in the right amount of days of which i have seven left.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3174247
Yeah, however you knew these were the rules going in didn't you?
+1.....I have placed MANY orders with SWF, and have only had a few things die. Each time I have received prompt credit to my account. I have always known that shipping credit is not offered, and when I chose to place these orders, I accepted that condition.
Sorry to hear about your clam, but do know....99% of SWF livestock (and corals) is excellent quality.

cranberry

Nobody refunds shipping costs or reships for free. That's pretty much the same for all the online vendors.
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3174249
Sorry to hear about your clam, but do know....99% of SWF livestock (and corals) is excellent quality.
Not even the ocean itself has 100% healthy critters.