New Clam has Aisptasia, Help

mike22cha

Well went to a lfs and bought a fire fish, a sps frag, and a clam. Didn't look at the clam closely enough to see the lil aisptasia all over it's shell. The SPS frag was in the same tank BTW. Overheard someone mention aisptasia in one of the tanks, but didn't see any in the frag tank because I didn't look close enogh. Anyways while acclimating the clam noticed it had aisptasia on it. So I talked with Paintballer76800 about it, and he said to boil some water and use a turkey baster to squirt hot water onto the aisptasia, but in the mean time be very careful not to get the hot water inside the clam. Did that and hopefuly that'll work, but I couldn't get to some aiptasia because there were too close to the mantle.
So what should I do?

coachklm

well , as a forwarning you also need to check for snails pyramid snails love clams otherwise scrape the Aipst. off ..

mike22cha

Originally Posted by coachKLM
http:///forum/post/2476228
well , as a forwarning you also need to check for snails pyramid snails love clams otherwise scrape the Aipst. off ..
You can just scrape them off?

And I don't have any snails in the tank.

coachklm

these pyramid snails will already be attached to the mantle of the clam (if it's infected) look around the base/foot about 1/8-1/4 inch snails.. if the aipstatia is on the shell just scrape it off (outside of tank of course)

paintballer768

I thought that if you scraped them off they would just come back? Is this only if theres some of the foot of the anemone on there?

nycbob

very hard to qt a clam since most people dont hv mh or t5 on their qt tank. clams u dont hv to qt, just gotta inspect the shell and bottom of it.

mie

I would just take the clam out and put in a bowl of tank water and scrape the aptaisia off then put it back in.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2476488
I would just take the clam out and put in a bowl of tank water and scrape the aptaisia off then put it back in.
Ok I'm just going to try scraping it off. Only trouble will be that the aiptasia is soo close to the mantle and I don't want to hurt the mantle.

natclanwy

I have used joes juice on my clam and some of the aptasia were actually on the inside of the shell under the mantle. Just be sure you don't get it on the mantle it will burn the clam. I have accidently got it onto the mantle a couple of times and it had some burned spots but has recovered without any trouble just be careful.

paintballer768

Mike, when the clam closes up, the mantle retracts in really close, just try to scrape it off without squeezing onto the clam too hard, breaking through the shell, or cutting the mantle. Oh, and dont sneeze when you do it or have your dog tackle you :]

mike22cha

I think I can see the aiptasia well enough to not need a magnifing glass, and the only thing I think I can use that my mom has in her house and will let me use, is scissors, which I think could work pretty great.
We'll see how this goes.

mike22cha

Tried using an exacto knife and couldn't do squat!
Whenever I took the clam away from the lights the anemones would hide so where I couldn't see them. Then I put it back it the tank and they came out right away. My tank is to cramped to get anything done in.
So what's some other ideas?
Any fish eat aptasia?

mike22cha

Paintballer said his CBA ate his aptasia and mine never bothered any mushrooms/zoas/brain for the short time that they were in my 125g. And I may be moving my 20g over this weekend so my angel will be going in there once it's set up and hopefuly my aptasia is gone.

BTW My dad is pretty sure he's getting a job 7 hours away in New Mexico and may be needed in as little as 2 weeks, so we're going to have to figure out what we're going to do with the 125g soon. Anyways the job will be only for 3 weeks, but we need to get rid of it. I'll try and figure that out tonight.