new clams

runn3rb3an

i just got two clams from my lfs. ones a desera and one is purpleish but i dont know its name. where should these be put in my tank as far as distance from the light? How much flow do they need? Also, does the desera go on sand and the other on rock? or a shell that i could move around? thanks for the help haha

nycbob

without saying what lighting and tank height u hv, its very difficuly to answer ur question.

runn3rb3an

this is kind of a little emergency so any advice would be greatly appriciated. right now i have the purple one (maxima im guessing) on a frag disc that i have (about 3 inches big) and its put up as close as possible to the lights. the other is on the sand bed. is this ok? there both open but not fully.

runn3rb3an

i have a stock 29 gallon biocube. the guy at my lfs said it should be fine for clams as long as there close to the top.

nycbob

i will assume its pc light. if so, the derasa needs to be on top near the light. the purple clam sound like either crocea or maxima. with pc, it wont do good long term at all.

runn3rb3an

ok. the lfs guy said that the desara dosent need to be up high because it filter feeds. he also said they need to be in sand. is this true?

n8ball2013

all clams filter feed. But they are very dependent on lighting i would not try them without t-5s at a minimum
croceas are a very light demanding clam and prefer to be on the rockwork
derasa are one of the lowest light demanding clams as is the squamosa and prefer a sandy bottom .

nycbob

runn3rb3an;2867385 said:
ok. the lfs guy said that the desara dosent need to be up high because it filter feeds. he also said they need to be in sand. is this true?[/QUOT
the derasa wont be getting enough light at the sand level with pc. the filter feeding is just a supplemental way for the clam to get more food.

runn3rb3an

well for righ now i have the derasa on the sand bed but it didnt open up fully yet. i dont think the othe one has either(its as close to the lights as possible, on a rock) should they be by now? sorry for all the questions this was just kind of an impulse buy haha

runn3rb3an

how could i get the derasa higher up if it needs to be while still having a sandy bed. would a shell filled with sand be fine or it needs deeper sand than that

runn3rb3an

these are the two new clams. do they look like they are healthy and in the right places in the tank? sorry again for all the questions haha. just a little worried.

nycbob

derasa prefers to be on the sandbed, but it doesnt hv to. u can place it the same way as the crocea. from the pic, ur light is definitely not enough. there isnt much u can do at this point, except get mh, or trade it back to lfs, either one of which i think u will do. not to sound bleak, but those clams dont really hv a chance with ur current setup.

runn3rb3an

ok thanks for all the help. i guess it turns out u cant trust the lfs guys haha. i just thought those spots were bleaching or something like that. i read it in one of the other threads

runn3rb3an

Well I contacted my lfs and they said they won't take them back so it looks like I'm stuck with them haha. Is there anything I can do for them to keep them happy(besides upgrading lights). Oh and also how long should it take for the foot too take hold? They keep tipping over. Will being higher up andwill sunlight afect their health too? Also how would I no if they are dieing or not because they open all the way and seem perfectly healthy to me. Thanks again for the help

shrimpi

either find someone to take the clams or go purchase correct lighting for them.
They will inevitably decline in that environment. Your standard PCs that came with the tank are not sufficient, even with the clams placed up high.
Sell them to someone, or invest a 150-200 in a sunpod.
Good Luck
Jess