New Corals! (Help with the placement?)

mattymang

I'm new to coral and have no idea what I'm doing! This is a multi purpose thread of showing off my new stuff and any advice you can give me. :)

Just yesterday I got a little haul,
2 Acans
2 Zoas
1 Paly
In addition to the 1 zoa and 1 paly I already had. Gonna be getting shrooms soon, maybe some brain coral, and anything easy I can afford right now!

Here's all the details;
20g tank, 16 inches deep. My biggest question is if the acans will be good where they're at or if I should put them on the sand like most people do. I have Marine Orbit LED, and it says 23 wats. I run them 10 hours on full intensity with blue and white lights, then 1 hour blue only light. PH is 8.2, temp is 78-79, salinity 1.024. Just ordered supplements and "Coral Frenzy Ultimate."

So, any opinions on placement or anything? I'll take all the advice you got :cool:

lmforbis

I can't see the pic.

I like to start all coral on the sand then gradually move them up over a couple weeks. If they don't seem to like the increased light when I move them up I move them lower. I have found LEDs to be deceptive as to how much light they actually produce, they are brighter than they appear to the eye, and if you go too fast you can burn the corals.

mattymang

I can't see the pic.

I like to start all coral on the sand then gradually move them up over a couple weeks. If they don't seem to like the increased light when I move them up I move them lower. I have found LEDs to be deceptive as to how much light they actually produce, they are brighter than they appear to the eye, and if you go too fast you can burn the corals.
I moved both the acans to the very bottom rock, just cause its annoying trying to get to them when they're on the sand. The zoas were all looking good today so I didn't really bother with them, I figure they're tough enough. But is it normal for all the corals to close up/shrink under the blue lights or when the lights are off? All my stuff does.

mattymang

Great, I was scared I was doing something wrong! I'll try to remember to post some more pictures on how everything starts doing once it's settled. Thank you again, you seem to always answer all my questions on here! :p

deejeff0442

My zoas like shady areas alot more with medium flow. They are always open
Acans and others I leave in a spot for 4 or 5 days and if they don't like it I will keep moving them until I find the spot they like