new crocea clam

drex

hey all, i just picked up a 5-6 inch crocea yesterday from my LFS for $50
with my discount since i used to work there..anyways, its pretty decent size and i want to know where is the best place to put them? i have been seeing people saying that it is great to have them up in the rocks, i have mine at the bottom of my 90 gallon, but there is 400 watt MH's above it.."it was under 250 watts at the pet store" but that should take care of it, correct? its my first clam..just making sure i am doing things properly. any other suggestions or help on caring for this properly is appreciated.it burrowed into the sand and kindave tilted itself at an angle but not much, its open and looking great. im assuming its doing just fine?

candycane

80% of the time that they tilt themselves it's because they are trying to shelter their mantle from the light, if they go UP in amount of light they are receiving. You could go to one of the LARGE local hardware stores and pick up a sheet of thin acrylic. Spray it down with some saltwater from your tank and then let it air dry so it gets a "salt creep" across one entire side of it. Then place it over the clam so that it cuts down on the lighting it is receiving until it has a chance to acclimate.
Just make sure that you don't buy such a large piece that it builds up a bunch of heat under it.

drex

so do i not touch it, will it move itself back to being upright? i can put something to thin out the light going to it no problem..but i dont want to do anything wrong so i wont touch it. any other advice for me here?thanks for that post!

drex

i will take some here when i can im swamped with work..the color is great its kindave a copperish color and purple. it was under 250w metal halides for quite some time i hope it wasnt TO hard on it going to 400w. like i said any other basic tips for me will be great..i will post something up asap.i have been reading though i have mine in my sandbed, i assumed that would be okay with 400w metal halides over it? thats enough light, correct? i really dont want to lose a clam i have never had a coral die on me..this is my favorite in my tank.

dplantz

Well if you wanted any specific information (for free) you should ask Candycane, hes the "Clam King" of this forum. He can answer ANY question on clams I sure. Just shoot him a PM.

drex

i have been talking to candycane quite a bit he really knows whats up with clams hes been a great help. if a fish swims by or a shadow causes my clam to close up for just a sec its super bright purple but when it opens way back up its kinda copperish/brownish color with purple/blue around the outside. i do not have any actiinics on my tank yet "will be a few more days before my bulbs arrive" is that why it may look brown? the clams stays open all day,any movement around it and it closes right away and opens right back up to how it was..im assuming everything is fine? i just havent gotten an answer about this color thing yet. i dont want to lose it its my first clam