new DSB./ Refugium ??

wetone

I have a 75G with about 125lbs LR there is only 1" or less of fine aragonite sand in the tank for aesthetics only. I have about a 35G rubbermaid sump and would like to attach another (same size) to act like a refugium. Ihave some LR pieces that are growing different types of caulerpa and I know its good for nitrate reduction, but I want to move it out of the show tank because it spreads. My question is should I add about 5" of southdown into this second sump and create a DSB. I have 0 nitrate and Phosphate readings so I dont know if I will see any benefts that way. I also am looking for a calm place to keep frags while thay attach and grow. Any thoughts?? How about lighting for the caulerpa if I dont add the soft coral frags(colt, leather)?? Will I have trouble keeping the DSB seeded if there is no creatures (fish etc.) in the sump?
Thanks

predator

I would suggest at least one bag of good live sand to sed the south down. It will be a good while before the southdown alone becomes live. It will need a good push in the back to really get going. If you decide to go this route I woul lay the southdown first and lay the live sand over the top of it.
If you keep only the culerpa and macroalgea in the refugium then a simple grow light will do. But if it's corals as well you will need something more suffeciant. Walmart has a small kit for lamps that is really cheap. Then the bulb is cheap as well. All together you will probably spend less than $10.