New filter suggestions

johns

:help:
My hang on filter decided to finally die last night (it was about 10 years old). I have a 55 gallon reef tank with protein skimmer, about 60 lbs of live rock and two power heads. I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL A SUMP! Question: Should I go with another hang on "whisper type" filter or a canister? I have read that canister type filters are a mess to clean.
Has anyone had or heard of the EHEIM Professional II External Filter and how it works?
Thanks
Suggestions?
Thanks
John
:help:

johns

Not planning on putting much else in the tank, maybe 1 or 2 more corals. Don't want a sump because stand I'm using doesn't have room for one and because of the cost involved in setting sump up.

jasenhicks

With that much Live Rock, and a skimmer if its estabilished, dont get another filter. Id say if anything invest in a HUGE skimmer. Let biology do all of the work. Realistically, if you have Live Rock, all the Ammonia will be converted to nitrite and then nitrate. With a good skimmer dissolved protiens will be removed and with regular water changes nitrates will be removed. No need for carbon and all that extra gunk that a HOB has. One thing i would suggest is an air pump with an air stone for surface agitation and added Oxygen to the tank. DONT forget the first successful tank was a bunch of rock and a few airstones, and another tank was done in america by a simple undergravel filter system. Dont get bogged down with filters and technology... just my $.02... the end statement if you want to invest some money in to it get another skimmer or replace yours with a really good big one.