New fish got Ich

big slick

My two newbies got Ich.. A hippo tang, and a royal gramma. I'm guessing the adjustment to the new tank was enough stress to cause it. What is the best path to getting rid of it. I have a small peppermint shrimp, but are those the ones who help clean off ich? If so, how the heck do the fish and the shrimp hook up for such a cleaning. If not, and I need a peppermint cleaner shrimp, what meds should I be dosing to get rid of it?
125 gallon with 40 gallon fuge
all levels are are but, and calcium is atuny bit high
Currently using both B-ionics, and a reef enrgizer

firefish3

if you have a quarantine get the fish in it and use hyposalinity. if you dont get a fire shrimp (they are the ones who are supposed to help with ich) I think a uv sterilizer might help (this will NOT get rid of ich by itself). good luck:happyfish

big slick

Thank you. Fire shrimp...got it. the tank is too big, and too many rocks to catch this little hippo, so I am going to try the shrimp route first....how exactly does this interaction work.....what I mean to ask is, how does the fish figure out the shrimp can help them..?

mmcheeto

Its an instict that alot of fish have. Works with cleaner and fire shrimp. I would also suggest getting a bottle of Kents Garlic Xtreem and let the food soak in it for about 10 mon before adding it to the tank. This will stimulate there eating and ..... Hrmm well I forgot the science behind it but anyways it boosts the imune system for your friends and helps with ich. Doing this will also get you fire shrimps motor reved way up. I Had this issue with a hippo that I had and we used the garlic ffor about 1 week or so. The cleaner shrimp would spazz and clean anything within sight everytime we would dump food. Not to mention nothing gets wasted. Anywyas . I would strongly advice to try it.

big slick

Ok, thank you! but the cleaner or the fire will do the job? I have one cleaner shrimp, would more do the trick, or will one work ok? Garlic Xtreme....check. I will grab it at the old LFS today. Does the cleaning occur at night, during the day? whenever the shrimp is in the "mood?"
I gotta see this! :eek:

big slick

Ok, I picked up to more shrimp to make the total in the tank =3. I chopeed uyp some frozen fromula 2 and mixed it with the Garlic Xtreme and re-froze it, my little fish popsicle should be done any minute now, and I will put it in for all to feed on. Lets hope this works because there is now way I am gonna catch these fish to put them into a QT....too many nooks, crannies, and crevases to hide in....ugh
cue the sexy music, and let the cleaning begin:happy:

shawnhardy

I am not sure that your peppermint shrimp will be compatable with a fire shrimp...but I am not an expert on this. I just thought I heard that they are not compatable. You might want to do a little more research on this...

big slick

I was unable to get a fire shrimp....all 3 are peppermints. Some sort of political trouble over in Bali, so shipping a little shakey these days, or at least that is what my LFS says.