New fish in QT/Ammonia up

gliderjohn

I recently set up a 10 gl. QT tank and cycled it with a cocktail shrimp. Ammonia & Nitrite were 0 and, after a 25% water change, Nitrates were 15.
Last Friday, 1 and 1/2 weeks after the cycle completed, I purchased a bi-color psuedochromis and put him in the QT.
Tuesday eve I tested the water and found both the ammonia and nitrites were at .25. I did another 25% water change, but everything tested the same.
Tested again tonight, params were the same.
What can I do to lower these numbers before it hurts the fish?

sepulatian

You can use a product like Amquel plus to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. I would still do water changes every other day though.

gliderjohn

Thanks. I'll pick some up tomorrow and I've got water ready to change. Will these levels damage the fish?
Thanks again.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Gliderjohn
http:///forum/post/2644724
Thanks. I'll pick some up tomorrow and I've got water ready to change. Will these levels damage the fish?
Thanks again.
Any ammonia and nitrite will stress them. The levels are not at a point to do serious damage, but they are not good either. If the fish is not being treated for anything then you can add a few smaller pieces of LR from your display. That will help out the biological filtration. If he does have to be treated for something then the rock will have to go into a bucket for three weeks. It will help out the QT though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let you, and anyone reading this, know. The cycle with cocktail shrimp was a fad, which quickly faded. Your best cycle material is marine items, such as a bit of live sand, a few pieces of rubble rock, cycled water, and then to maintain the cycle, you feed your QT a couple times a week with fish food.
In your situation, once your QT is really cycled, in order to maintain the cycle when there is no fish in the tank, you need to feed the QT a couple times a week.

gliderjohn

Beth & Sep. -
Thank you both for such excellent advice. Beth, I appreciate you clearing that up for us.
I've still got a lot to learn and definitely apply all the suggestions. This board has been a wonderful, continuing source of information that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.
Thanks again.