New fish is it ready to launch

mr. limpid

I have a new Pakistani butterfly that has been QT for 4 weeks this coming Friday. It hasn't shown any signs of ick or other problems and is eating great. My question is that I've seen so many threads about ick being present on all fish does he have ick and not showing it or is it safe to put into my DT? I'm a little gun shy have had ick numerous times and lost to many fish I'm ashamed to say how many.

mr. limpid

just been in QT, he didn't show any sign of ick. I'm so use to seeing ick in two three days and when it was a week later and no sign of ick I just wanted to see.

al mc

Problem: If you have had numerous losses to Ich, as stated, is your DT free of Ich?

mr. limpid

all fish are free of ick and show no sign of ick. No new fish have been added or anything else since may.

mr. limpid

to answer your question Al Mc all my fish in the DT have been through hypo and the DT was fish free for 8 weeks before they went back in. Any new fish has been QT and hypo'ed before going into the DT. This is the first fish that has shown no signs ick while in the QT.

btldreef

IMO, you might not be seeing ich simply because this new fish is not stressed. My fear is that you could add him to the DT, he gets stressed and then ich pops up. I'd hypo him.

sepulatian

Hypo is not necessary on every new fish, but you just got rid of ich in your display. Why hurry and why skip peace of mind? Hypo him.

mr. limpid

Thank comment from Sepulatian brings up a question. Can a fish have ick if there are no signs (seeing white spots) on his body? I mean no heavy breathing no scratching never a spot (and I look ever day) for 4 weeks, could there still be ick?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/382922/new-fish-is-it-ready-to-launch#post_3345723
Thank comment from Sepulatian brings up a question. Can a fish have ick if there are no signs (seeing white spots) on his body? I mean no heavy breathing no scratching never a spot (and I look ever day) for 4 weeks, could there still be ick?
I'm of the same thought as Sepulation right now, why risk it?
It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. Healthy fish can fight off signs of it, but it they have it and become stressed, it will show. I had a very healthy Copperband Butterfly that I QT'd, but never hypo'd because well, he was healthy, and I was training him to eat and didn't want to cause anymore stress. Plopped him in the DT, and WHAM! ich was present in under 24hours. He was the first fish introduced to that setup that I didn't hypo and I've paid for it dearly. Now I'm just waiting for my 180 to finish it's cycle to I can move my coral, rocks and inverts and hypo this tank.

mr. limpid

I'm not disputing your great advise, I also believe better safe that sorry. I'm just trying to figure out from everything I read if the fish show no sign of ick for 3 to 4 weeks the ick cycle is over there for no ick present. That ick can not lay dormant waiting for fish to be stressed to attack.

al mc

Personally, All new fish (except mandarins) that I plan to add to my DT not only go into the QT but I do a 3-4 week hyposalinity on them as well just to be sure. i am unwilling to risk the health, not to mention the expense, of getting Ich back in my DT. I learned several years ago the hard/expensive way by not using hyposalinity on all new fish. While you might call it excessive i also QT all rock, inverts for 3-4 weeks.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/382922/new-fish-is-it-ready-to-launch#post_3345810
I'm not disputing your great advise, I also believe better safe that sorry. I'm just trying to figure out from everything I read if the fish show no sign of ick for 3 to 4 weeks the ick cycle is over there for no ick present. That ick can not lay dormant waiting for fish to be stressed to attack.
I tried replying earlier, but my phone was giving me an error.
Anyways, I believe that as long as there is a host (fish) for the ich, it can in fact lay dormant (undetectable) until the fish is sick or stressed.