New gonoporia Coral

X

xrobbx03

ok i just picked up a flowerpot coral or gonoporia coral. I know they are not the easiest things to take care of but i like they way they look. I know they have to be fed constantly. I was planning on target feeding everyday with phytoplex. How will this work out. If anyone else out there has one please let me know how you take care of it thanks.
But heres some pics of the new coral. It opened up within an hour.

ctgretzky9

lfs swears by using daphnia and dt's for flowerpot, and has some in a show tank that are a couple of years old now.
I dont have any personal experience with them, but i do like them....

nm reef

stanlalee...great source of info...but the link to it is in violation of this sites policy. Please refrain from posting links to sites that advertise hobby related sites.

yellowhaid

Originally Posted by NM reef
stanlalee...great source of info...but the link to it is in violation of this sites policy. Please refrain from posting links to sites that advertise hobby related sites.

That is one thing I really don't like about this site, you could have lifesaving info, but not allowed to post it because"". Instead you have to rely on info from people here that just have their own experiences and opinions that may or may not be what you need. If you were to copy and paste the article to a post here, it would be better, but that would probably also be in violation, etc, etc.

babyb

my lfs has one that they knew nothing about. i was talking with the guy that knows the most about the fish and told him that they are really hard to take care of the he was like o really well we have had this one for a few weeks and it has been doing fine. well about aweek later i went back in and it has started to die around the bottom and i asked(in a smart butt sort of way) is that coral dying and the were all like NO ITS NOT ITS JUST SUCKED UP and i thought ya thats you pieces are floating away. they know nothing about coral. the lady didnt even know that a sun coral was nocturnal. she told me she was dicipointed that i didnt look anything like the picture

X

xrobbx03

stanalee thanks for the site it has alot of good info on it.
Now heres another question how does everyone target feed their flowerpots also are there an pictures out there of realyl healthy flowerpots and also dying ones so i know what to look for.

mudplayerx

I had two flowerpots that I thought I was doing a great job of feeding and caring for. One closed up around month nine and remained that way for a month until it died. I gave the other one away for store credit because I didn't want to see that happen again in my tank. Best of luck with your flowerpot. I would try to get credit or exchange it if you could, but this is only my opinion.

X

xrobbx03

i dont see why u get mad that that it only lasted 9 months i think its a great looking coral to have and it if lasts 8 months to a year thats fine with me

dburr

That's just it, are in for the hobby to keep stuff for a few months or a lifetime? They live longer the the wild, not just 9 more months.
That said, we have a guy here in CT, his name is (and i'm not kidding) Justin Credable. He has been studying these corals and has had very good luck(not really "luck")growing and fragging these types of coral. He really is just in credable. LOL
He has all types of colors. He told me the easiest color is the reddish/orange color. Don't know why tho. They need more of "dirty water" to do best.
HTH

R

reef33

Ive had mine a few months dont know if its gonna make it clowns are hosting it and its not to responsive of the little guests.
At first it was ok with it.

Not anymore.

cain420

Originally Posted by yellowhaid
That is one thing I really don't like about this site, you could have lifesaving info, but not allowed to post it because"". Instead you have to rely on info from people here that just have their own experiences and opinions that may or may not be what you need. If you were to copy and paste the article to a post here, it would be better, but that would probably also be in violation, etc, etc.
you can copy and paste the info....

X

xrobbx03

yeah i mean its great to have something in ur tank for years and years but i wouldnt be that upset if the flowerpot only lasted a year thats still ap retty long time of it being in ur tank and if u have alot of success with it jsut get another one and swap it right in.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by dburr
Ummm........never mind.

everyone has their own opinions about things i guess thats just the way i feel about flowerpots.