New gorgonian! HELP!

coral keeper

I just came back from the LFS and got some kind of blue gorgonian(got it for very cheap), its got a lot of dead parts. Should I frag it? If so where? What should I feed it? What kind of gorgonian is it? Its in a very high flow area right now, a few polyps already opened up. The water is milkyish because I just added phytoplankton to the tank(I grow my own phytoplankton) Here are a few pictures. I'll try to get a few better pictures right now.

coral keeper

Here are a few more better pictures. More than 50% of the polyps are open right now.
The last picture is with flash. Should I frag the gorgonian?

mr_x

i believe that's commonly known as a blueberry gorgonian.
Relative Care Ease:
Difficult
Lighting:
Requires a low to medium level---i don't know why this website says this, these are non-photosynthetic

Temperatures:
68 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit
PH value:
8.1 to 8.4
DKH value:
8.0 to 12.0
Specific gravity:
1.023 and 1.025
Water Movement:
Requires medium to strong, constant or
intermittent water flow.
Feeding:
Feed very often with one of the
coral filter feeding foods. It's also good to
provide a varied diet, such as frozen baby
brine shrimp, Phyto Plankton, Marine Snow
or any of the other available foods available.
For continued good health, it will also require
the addition of iodine, calcium, strontium,
and other trace elements to the water.
Agressiveness:
Peaceful

coral keeper

Ok, Should I frag it? Or just leave it be and just spot feed it everyday? Right now, ALL the polyps are open!

spanko

If all polyps are open no need to frag. Just have to give it good flow and keep the algae from growing on it. Not many have good luck with this type of gorg, most don't last 6 months. Hope you have better luck with yours.

spanko

Best bet is to avoid the algae in the first place with flow. You can brush them off if you are very gentle with a soft bristle tooth brush. In the case of cyano growing on them get after it with a suction tube again gently.

perfectdark

If the outter flesh has become necrotic due to infection you will indeed need to frag it. Brush off all of the build up, hen keep a close eye on the remaining branches that still have polyps. If you see further decay of the outter flesh start cutting them off. Make sure you cut far enough onto the good part of the branch to ensure clean margins. If there is no necrosis then leave it be and see how/if it starts to re-grow.

scopus tang

Personally, I would concentrate on getting it healthy, before I stressed it further by fragging it. As both X and spanko said, the blueberry gorgorian is nonphotosynthetic and is reported to be very difficult to keep. Lots of flow, watch for algae growth trying to smoother it, and I would feed a mix of plankton and cyclopseeze (sp), or some type of puried food. If your growing your own phytoplankton that might help. Good luck and let us know how it goes. As PD said, watch or look for evidence of infection.

reefkprz

in this case I dont think fragging would help unless you can spot an infection then as Perfect dark mentioned you may need to.
but its most likely a case of starvation. blueberry gorgonian are notoriously tough to keep and usually starve to death in 6 to 8 months. keep it well fed, a phyto drip supplying a constant source of food is probably your best bet, from what information I have gathered from expirienced gorgonian keepers.
good luck

N

nonphotosynt

This is not an infection, but dieing tissue:

I suspect overheating during shipping to LFS. Other non-photosynthetic gorgonians had similar damage.
It can be fragged (the live parts being cut off and glued to the rock):

You can find many posts on the web about blueberry gorgonian.
Mine was badly damaged when I bought it - just like yours:

The dead parts were removed:

The whole tank was treated by Melafix and Pimafix (for this and another non-photosynthetic gorgonian, Swiftia, aslo with necrosis), and while most swiftia frags recovered, blueberry continued to decline and was lost in bryopsis outbreak - after initial short-term improvement:

Swiftia, in similar condition, also was fragged, and frags are alive. But it is more resistant to algae growth.

To frag it or not - your decision, but here is what else you may try:
- make very good water flow around it, fan facing dispersed stream, but the polyps shouldn't be bent too much,
- set continuous automatic feeding, the syringe pump seems to be the more economic option, comparing to peristaltic pump,
- feed zooplankton, 800 micron and less, and enriched food, like Fauna Marin foods or, at least, marine fish flakes, crumbled, soaked, decanted (GARF's gorgonians recipe). If you can, try set live rotifers culture. I can't guarantee, that it helps, but this is what I'm trying to do now for a blueberry gorgonian's relative, the live food. It may have something, lacking in the dried food. May not.
Flow and continuous feeding are more important. Search on "blueberry gorgonian" anf feeding or flow will give you other keepers' experiences.
Sorry, not much help, but this is all I have.

mr_x

+3. that was excellent info. the reason i don't keep blueberry gorgonians is this.
they are such a beautiful coral. i think they are the nicest gorgonian we know of. i hope it works out for you CK

coral keeper

Hmmmm..... I got a good idea! I'm going to frag a few pieces then put a frag or 2 in my 8 gallon biocube, then put a few frags everywhere in the 28 gallon, under the cave, on the side, ect to maximize the chances of it surviving.
Whats your opinion?

reefkprz

seperqating the frags to many locals is a good Idea but ample food for it should be your primary concern.

coral keeper

Ok, I got lots of phyto and I add lots of phyto everyday. I'm going to go frag it right now. It hasn't opened for 2 days ever since I put it on a new spot except for a few polyps, so I moved it back where it used to be on the very first day.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2717402
Ok, I got lots of phyto and I add lots of phyto everyday. I'm going to go frag it right now. It hasn't opened for 2 days ever since I put it on a new spot except for a few polyps, so I moved it back where it used to be on the very first day.
Phytoplankton might be slightly helpful indirectly, but this gorgonian will need a variety of VERY plentiful zooplankton. After all the research and planning you seemed to do, I'm kind of peeved that we've gone back to stage 1 - buying things without any research and putting them in a setup that very likely won't be able to support them for the long-term.

coral keeper

I know. I gave them some baby brine shrimp eggs and freshly hatched live baby brine shrimp that hatched in a cup with live phytoplankton.