new hermit and snail deaths

N

nihoa

when adding new cleaner uppers how common is it for a few of them to die? with our water parameters looking good we added 10 hermits and 5 died within a few days while the rest of our hermits continue to do fine. we recently also added 8 new snails (1 fighting conch, 2 bumble bees, 2 margaritas, 3 astreas) and 1 of the maragritas and 1 of the astreas died. all our other snails are alright. is it s problem on our end or is it common that they stress in transit or are perhaps stressed prior to shipping? we acclimated slow and gave everyone the same treatment yet seem to get fatalities in some batches and not others. thoughts?

jtt

sometimes hermits will kill eachother and other snails for their shells. buy some empty shells and toss them in there. once i did that all the deaths stopped.

N

nihoa

yeah we have plenty of empties. the new snails and hermits that ended up dying were very inactive for a day or so and then died. the ones that ended up being fine hit the ground running and you could almost predict who was gonna make it and who wasnt based on their vigor.

creekchub

I never had problems with them dying by just adding them to the tank, what I have a problem with is the crabs eating the snails, this happens a lot, watch your crabs don't mess with snails.
I would say crabs and snails are very hardy, I would say they do die over time, just seems odd yours died right after you enter them in you tank.

N

nihoa

even odder i think is that some batches are 100% and others i lose a few of. if i had a consistent problem it would be one thing but this i dont get

dustyboy316

I just added in 6 snails and 2 emerald crabs.
I think one snail is dead for sure (he dosen't come out of the shell at all), one is missing (Do they climb out?
) and the two crabs are alive, but the smaller hasn't moved much and might be in some danger.

vinny p

lfs said to acclimate snails over 2-2.5hour period because they die easy if they are not acclimated properly... idk if thats any help

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by vinny p
http:///forum/post/2927161
lfs said to acclimate snails over 2-2.5hour period because they die easy if they are not acclimated properly... idk if thats any help
mine said that too. I acclimated for about 2 hours and only 2 of my 6 snails have a good chance at survival imo.
My 1 snail is also completely missing

Edit: Just found him in the back. He must be healthy then if he moved all the way over there.
So it looks as if the survival rate is 50/50 on this batch.

vinny p

Originally Posted by dustyboy316
http:///forum/post/2927202
mine said that too. I acclimated for about 2 hours and only 2 of my 6 snails have a good chance at survival imo.
My 1 snail is also completely missing

^maybe hermit ate it for the shell? or it just died naturally..it's hard to say, since u cant be watching 24/7