New Hobby

mmarkase

I started this hobby about 2.5 months ago. Things where going well untill it started messing with the tank. I was told to change 10% of water monthly. Also shifted my live rock. That when it all started, my fish died one by one. I lost a total of 5 fish in one week. What am i doing wrong? :help:
I have a 55gallon reef tank fish inverts and easy coral, power compact lighting 4x65.

T

thomas712

Shifted your rock around? Was it in a sand bed or crushed coral?
5 fish already in a 2.5 month old tank? Were these put in all at once or 1 or 2 every other week?
Tank fully cycled?
How about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
Quarantine the fish first?
Thomas

mmarkase

the tank was cycled, and thwe rock are on sand. The fish i bought over a months time one at a time. My test where fine untill i moved stuff around. The reason i moved the rock was to catch the damsals. The damsels where attacking my other fish. I took the damsels out. But i lost a Butterfly, an Angel 2 clowns and a Manderin in one week. :mad:

T

thomas712

The mandarin was the start of the problem. They are very picky eaters and only eat pods, your tank was way to young for the likes of a mandarin. I've seen them get fungus soon after acclimation, most however starve to death in young systems without enough pods.
Depending on age and depth of sand bed you could also release anerobic bacteria into the system if removing rocks from the sand bed. But here I suspect that your sand bed was still too young yet to have developed much of that type of bacteria.
I would test the water for ammonia and nitrites.
Thomas

mmarkase

i recked my tanks try to get them out, i do not plan on putting them back. They attacked each other and also my other fish. Any others that might do well in a new tank?

murph

How did you go about making your water changes and what was your water source?
New water needs to be, at the vary least, the same temp and SG as your tanks water when making smaller changes and when making larger changes PH and Alk should be checked also. What type of water did you use for the changes. If tap, you run the risk of introducing chlorine and a laundry list of other contaminates if not properly treated or run through a RO/DI filter first.
I doubt that moving your rock around was the source of your problems.
Now that you are fish less so to speak. Take it a little slower this time. Make sure the tank is indeed cycled. A cycled tank should show zero for ammonia and nitrites at all times. If tap water is your only option use Aquel+ in slightly higher doses than recommended to treat the water. Invest in a chlorine test kit to make sure you are not introducing chlorines to the tank. Use hydrometer or refractometer to verify SG of any newly introduced water and check PH of tank and new water prior to water changes.
Start with small inexpensive fish and if possible add least aggressive on up to more aggressive specimens. Use google to do a little research on every species you intended to add to the tank and don't let LFS talk you in to anything you are not 100 percent sure of.
The most common phrase heard at the LFS, "sure they should be fine in your tank", this is many times not the case. Remember, these guys are first and foremost, salesmen and often times know less about a particular fish than the customer. The Mandarin for example.
To check the honesty and knowledge of a particular LFS salesmen, ask a few questions that you already know the answer to. If the reply is vague in any way or out right wrong don't believe any thing else he tells you either.

mmarkase

I used unfiltered tap water. My tank was cycled, all the test where on line. My problem started when i did my frst 10% water change. Is water the water change necessary? The butterfly, Angel, Wrasse and Clowns where doing very well for over a month. Then one by one died.

murph

Try to find a Glacier water vending machine, usually outside grocery stores. This is RO water. Or buy bottled RO water at the local wally world. Make sure its RO filtered. Should say how its filtered on the outside of the bottle.
When you get home everyday toss your loose change in the container of your choice. After a few months of this count it and you will probably have enough for your own RO/DI water filter, which run around 250 bucks.