New HUMU HUMU

tomclx

Do Juvenile HUMU HUMUs HIde , and wedge themselves between rocks when introduced to a new tank. I put one in my tank last night, and it id hiding , and wedging itself between rocks.

tomclx

Thanks. He hasnt come out of the same spot, I cant tell if he is ok. He is almost on his side wedged between a peice of live rock.

zeroc

ours does it all the time, it's normal, we freaked at first, thought he was stuck. He was fine.

scubaguy

My Niger has been in hiding for 11 days. He comes out some times but if he sees us or the other fish he hides in the LR or a area in the corner that he pushed all the sand out of
As long as he is swimming around a little I guess he is all right and will start swimming around the tank when he is ready.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by tomclx
Do Juvenile HUMU HUMUs HIde , and wedge themselves between rocks when introduced to a new tank. I put one in my tank last night, and it id hiding , and wedging itself between rocks.
Agree with everyone; very common behavior--they can use their foldable "trigger" dorsal fin to really wedge themselves in. Its easy to have a small one wedged in a piece of rock; then take the rock out of the tank for some reason, without even realizing he's there.

sigeia

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Agree with everyone; very common behavior--they can use their foldable "trigger" dorsal fin to really wedge themselves in. Its easy to have a small one wedged in a piece of rock; then take the rock out of the tank for some reason, without even realizing he's there.
How well do I know this, I transferred my triggers from one tank to the next? One trigger was missing for three days, when he finally appeared he had a large gash in his side. He must have got wedged in the rock from the transfer.
It made me feel bad that I waited that long before I started looking for him. Everything turned out great. His side has healed he looks great and I learned a valuable lesson at his expense! Watch out for your fish when changing tanks.

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by Sigeia
How well do I know this, I transferred my triggers from one tank to the next? One trigger was missing for three days, when he finally appeared he had a large gash in his side. He must have got wedged in the rock from the transfer.
It made me feel bad that I waited that long before I started looking for him. Everything turned out great. His side has healed he looks great and I learned a valuable lesson at his expense! Watch out for your fish when changing tanks.

And Eels, I had my SFE go completely inside one of my big pieces of rock when I was transfering and it was a good thing that the big rock was the last out of the old, and first in the new because he was in there without me knowing. Once I set it in the new tank he came swimming out in relief (sitting in the wide open air for a couple minutes scared the little guy).

sigeia

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
And Eels, I had my SFE go completely inside one of my big pieces of rock when I was transfering and it was a good thing that the big rock was the last out of the old, and first in the new because he was in there without me knowing. Once I set it in the new tank he came swimming out in relief (sitting in the wide open air for a couple minutes scared the little guy).
Things like that make you want to be more careful. Too easy to end some critters life not paying attention to what, we are doing. In our case we were both lucky and so were our critters.