New Ich Medicine

seareef

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
Never use copper to treat ich. Especially in a reef tank with inverts. Copper is deadly to marine life.
Hypo should only be done by those who have a very good refractometer, and is still an iffy solution, as many fish end up dying fromt he stress of going through the hypo.
Kick ich does work in my experiences as well as LFS experiences...both of them. You can treat the entire tank with it, and it does nothing to harm anything.
QT is the best way to avoid a tank spread outbreak in any event.
UV sterilizers have both good and bad points, whereas IME and reading a lot of posts on the subject on a couple of BB's and some other conversations, I have found they do more harm than good in smaller aquariums such as most of us have. They remove too much of the biological nessecities for just the sake of trying to fight a rare outbreak of a disease.
In large aquariums (such as public super large aquariums), the opposite seems to be the result.
YOU DO NOT PUT COPPER IN THE DISPLAY TANK. common sense, you remove the animal in a QT tank, sorry i didn't clarify thought it was common sense.

seareef

Never use copper to treat ich. Especially in a reef tank with inverts. Copper is deadly to marine life.
Hypo should only be done by those who have a very good refractometer, and is still an iffy solution, as many fish end up dying fromt he stress of going through the hypo.
Kick ich does work in my experiences as well as LFS experiences...both of them. You can treat the entire tank with it, and it does nothing to harm anything.
QT is the best way to avoid a tank spread outbreak in any event.
UV sterilizers have both good and bad points, whereas IME and reading a lot of posts on the subject on a couple of BB's and some other conversations, I have found they do more harm than good in smaller aquariums such as most of us have. They remove too much of the biological nessecities for just the sake of trying to fight a rare outbreak of a disease.
In large aquariums (such as public super large aquariums), the opposite seems to be the result.
Also I would put a UV on a 10 gallon tank if i could...lol...yes it is over pretection, but its worth it. If your tank is set up correctly your bacteria will be fine beside the UV.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by SeaReef
YOU DO NOT PUT COPPER IN THE DISPLAY TANK. common sense, you remove the animal in a QT tank, sorry i didn't clarify thought it was common sense.

It is common sense, wasnt sure what you meant without the clarification. I was picturing people trying to put a dose of copper in a marine aquarium!

Just protecting the innocent lol

seareef

Completely agreed, im glad you caught that, someone might have put copper in there display, that would have been horrible. At times I forget most people in this " hobby " dont always know for sure what will do what, and with so many LFS stores that dont know either...it could cause for a Baaaaaad day in the display.
Thank you.

ctgretzky9

Also I would put a UV on a 10 gallon tank if i could...lol...yes it is over pretection, but its worth it. If your tank is set up correctly your bacteria will be fine beside the UV.

First off, I have no experience with a uv sterilizer, so I cannot comment based on my own experience, but it seems that the things I have read, is that as a rule of thumb, tanks less than around 500 gallons suffer from using one, and tanks over that benefit from it.
This issue was brought up in Coral magazine about 6 months or so ago...I'll go home and try and find the copy, I should have it. They did some tests on beneficial bacterial populations and tests on wether it truly works for ich, since in its swimming stage, it can hide among the substrate and LR anyway, and virtually come back even with a sterilizer, which to me makes sense, since the free swimming stage at least has some locomotion and means of "hiding" whereas bacteria, for the most part, is just free "floating" in the water column.
It in essence, seems to over clean the water in smaller volumes, and does not differentiate good vs. bad living organisms.

ctgretzky9

Completely agreed, im glad you caught that, someone might have put copper in there display, that would have been horrible. At times I forget most people in this " hobby " dont always know for sure what will do what, and with so many LFS stores that dont know either...it could cause for a Baaaaaad day in the display.
Thank you.

lol...lfs are not usually the best resource, unfortunately. I have been to 6 or 7 locally to me, and only found 1 to be incredibly knowledgeable about every aspect, whom I trust (he has worked with Sprung directly, not that I even believe every thing an "expert "says), 1 that is pretty knowledgeable, and 3 or 4 who probably couldnt tell you what the level of ammonia in a marine tank should be!

seareef

First off, I have no experience with a uv sterilizer, so I cannot comment based on my own experience, but it seems that the things I have read, is that as a rule of thumb, tanks less than around 500 gallons suffer from using one, and tanks over that benefit from it.
This issue was brought up in Coral magazine about 6 months or so ago...I'll go home and try and find the copy, I should have it. They did some tests on beneficial bacterial populations and tests on wether it truly works for ich, since in its swimming stage, it can hide among the substrate and LR anyway, and virtually come back even with a sterilizer, which to me makes sense, since the free swimming stage at least has some locomotion and means of "hiding" whereas bacteria, for the most part, is just free "floating" in the water column.
It in essence, seems to over clean the water in smaller volumes, and does not differentiate good vs. bad living organisms.

Just like a skimmer, it will pull out good with the bad, you have to weigh it correctly per tank. Myself I suggest them on all sized tanks. But others (like you) dont...which is more than fine....its the same as with skimmers...some like them on every tank...others dont... good example... I dont run a skimmer on my 20 gallon sea horse tank...Im just letting hair alage grow on the rock...(removed nutrients) ...looks like hell to some...but I like the green with them...since they come from that type of environment... baleaze ..etc.
Anywho ...I did read the mag myself (corl mag) I agreed with some of it, disagreed with others. But honestly, I do like UV's ... ..putting it on a 10 gallon honestly I was joking. But if your tank is larger than 75 gallons, I highly suggest it. If your tank is over 280 gallons I suggest using O-ZONE...most dont trust it...but whoa does it help out! With bigger tanks come bigger toys..and with more toys come more exotic corals/fish. :)
:happyfish

ctgretzky9

Just like a skimmer, it will pull out good with the bad, you have to weigh it correctly per tank. Myself I suggest them on all sized tanks. But others (like you) dont...which is more than fine....its the same as with skimmers...some like them on every tank...others dont... good example... I dont run a skimmer on my 20 gallon sea horse tank...Im just letting hair alage grow on the rock...(removed nutrients) ...looks like hell to some...but I like the green with them...since they come from that type of environment... baleaze ..etc.
Anywho ...I did read the mag myself (corl mag) I agreed with some of it, disagreed with others. But honestly, I do like UV's ... ..putting it on a 10 gallon honestly I was joking. But if your tank is larger than 75 gallons, I highly suggest it. If your tank is over 280 gallons I suggest using O-ZONE...most dont trust it...but whoa does it help out! With bigger tanks come bigger toys..and with more toys come more exotic corals/fish. :)
:happyfish
Agreed...thanks for your input on the subject. I like hearing from people on these kind of experiences since I dont have any of my own on the uv's.
Oh yea, definately dont want a skimmer on a seahorse, so I have been told many times from people doing that. That will be my next venture, I have a 60 tall hex that will be perfect for sea horses.
Ozone scares me! Just a month or so ago, in some public aquarium, they wiped out a bunch of sharks I think? Someone didnt calibrate the ozone or something...but I guess that can happen anyway with anything we do to the tanks!
I do use ozone for purifying my mix out and top off water though. Just not directly in the tank. My tap water runs through a uv lamp, ozone, cyclonic aeration, and a 1 micron solid carbon block, but ozone is highly unstable, and the ozone dissipates almost immediately upon leaving the unit into the air.

seareef

O-ZONE is like a nucular weapon, you dont want it in the wrong hands....for some people its a great tool...for others its trouble in the making.
I use O-ZONE on my 150 personally.....works wonders... the reason i say 280's and up...because at that level you have SERIOUS people...not in the hobby for a year...or people who dont konw what there doing...at this level ...they should have a general concept of how to use the product correctly.