New JBJ HQI Nano

nano reefer

looks nice, it is just a regular JBJ with a MH fixture in it.
So, instead of going to a separate company to get your hood customized, you buy right from JBJ. Smart move by JBJ.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by drea
these expensive? and can you basically grow any coral cause of the mh's?
i was poking around at JBJ's website and they are selling it for $529.99. and yes...MH's can grow any corals

peef

I have one and I LOVE it, need a chiller though. Also I am adding 2 18w PC's to the hood for even better color. I say buy it!!!

drea

sick!!! i think i mat very well buy one...
so this is everything included....
now can u get away with no chiller, meaning do the mh's make the water temp to warm?
or is the reason you need a chiller is cause no a/c in the house?

jtrzerocool

sick!!! i think i mat very well buy one...
so this is everything included....
now can u get away with no chiller, meaning do the mh's make the water temp to warm?
or is the reason you need a chiller is cause no a/c in the house?
yes MH's produce ALOT of heat. i have 2x150x MH's on a 50g without a cover with no problem but with 150w of metal hailde on a 29g covered tank i find it hard to belive that you can get away without a chiller.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
yes MH's produce ALOT of heat. i have 2x150x MH's on a 50g without a cover with no problem but with 150w of metal hailde on a 29g covered tank i find it hard to belive that you can get away without a chiller.
Yea it may be iffy without a chiller, but I say go for the MHs, but make sure if you need a chiller, you can afford to get one because they arent cheap.
Another thing that may help with the heat is hanging the lights higher from the water, but this also reduces the effectiveness of the lights.

bjoe23

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
i have a 29 gallon with a glass cover and i was looking at getting MH's, u think i need a chiller?

dupreyjaq

there is a retro chiller on another site for 89.99 it fits in the hood, when I get my set up I'm spending $829 for for tank, chiller, and 2x 18 watt pc's. I can't wait.

drea

i have seen these tanks for 300$ and under, why are you guys paying 500 and up?
am i missing something?

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by bjoe23
i have a 29 gallon with a glass cover and i was looking at getting MH's, u think i need a chiller?
yes i would recomend either getting a chiller or taking the cover off of your tank.

jtrzerocool

am i missing something?
like duprey said...because of the 150w HQI MH

matt b

lights chillers filters all upgrades

rasguedo

Originally Posted by MaTT B
lights chillers filters all upgrades
I was told the chillers that fit in the nanos dont work well at all. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that. I want one of these so bad but I cant afford a 200 or 300 dollar chiller. I was told if Im lucky the nano chillers will only cool 2 or 3 degrees and that was nowhere near enough to compensate for the MH's.

bgrimm

I have a Current 1/15hp chiller for my 28g and have had no problems with it. Keeps my tank between 79 and 81 degrees. My corals love the MH compared to the PC's in the old tank. It's a great tank over all.
B

peef

Honestly IMO you don't want to buy the cheapest chiller you can find. It will cost you more in the end when it breaks on you in the middle of the summer and you HAVE to rush out and buy the first chiller you find IF you can even afford it at that time. That or lose your tank inhabitants. I would wait and save a little money and get a decent chiller. I have the Arctica chiller on my 24g and it ROCKS I keep my tank at a 76-77 and it isn't even running my chiller too hard. It only runs for about 3-4 minutes every half hour. Trust me it would be better to just wait and save a little to get the best setup you can initially.