new light fixture

ppanthrah75

well i was in the market to replace my bulbs for the tank which are 2-175watt mh, 2-96watt pc's, 2 t-5 54 watt then i started thinking cause i have a 150 gallon deep tank to maybe get new ballasts rated for 250 watt. i started adding everything up and another couple hundred i can buy a whole new system so i was looking at the hamilton 4' cebu from this site now im wondering if i should get the 250 watt or the 400 watt mh any thoughts would be appreciated thank you

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppanthrah75 http:///forum/thread/384352/new-light-fixture#post_3366516
well i was in the market to replace my bulbs for the tank which are 2-175watt mh, 2-96watt pc's, 2 t-5 54 watt then i started thinking cause i have a 150 gallon deep tank to maybe get new ballasts rated for 250 watt. i started adding everything up and another couple hundred i can buy a whole new system so i was looking at the hamilton 4' cebu from this site now im wondering if i should get the 250 watt or the 400 watt mh any thoughts would be appreciated thank you

I never had a "deep" tank but I do have 2X175W MHs. w/2X96W actinic on my 27" deep 90g and I have never had a problem keeping any type of coral or anemone. Unless you have had issues with your lights not being strong enough..I wouldn't spend the extra cash, just replace the bulbs and spend your money on some new corals to enjoy.

ppanthrah75

gotcha ive been looking aroung ans seeing that the electronic ballsts is better than the magnetic ir this true?

well its like asking are ak 47 better than ar 15. Its a matter of option. there have been test done to show which bulbs go better with electronic ballast or mag ballast. You can not run radium or iwasaki on a electronic ballast. So pretty much no Asian bulbs on electronic ballast. I myself like electronic ballast, I'm also a AK fan (i own way too many AK's). There are people who only use mag ballast. True mag ballast have gotten way better in recent years. Mag ballast tend to drive bulbs harder and create more par. Electronic ballast are easier on the bulbs by keeping color longer, and making the bulb last longer. Mag ballast have gotten more economical but IMO electronic ballast still save money. I currently use a lumatek with a Phoenix 14k.

nikesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter23 http:///forum/thread/384352/new-light-fixture#post_3366681
You can not run radium or iwasaki on a electronic ballast.
absolutely not true, radiums can be ran on electronic ballast just fine. theyll fire on lumatek, galaxy, and most other electronic ballast. they just wont be driven to the proper spec. they wont be driven properly on all magnetic ballasts either. depdending on the wattage, they run to spec only on certain magnetic ballasst.