new light, now lots of algee

1990jpyj

ok so last week i got my new light fixture to replace my old nova. i got a HL 48" 4X54w fixture. sence having this new light every night i have had to clean the algee off of my glass. its kinda a pain. my sanils cannot even keep up with the amount thats growing.
what should i do?
i cannot figure out if its the bulbs or what. they are TRU brand so idk if they are just horrable bulbs, or if they need a break in period. the lights are on like 7 hours a day. i would like to fix this problem before i move on to the reef upgrades.
thanks for any help

jerryatrick

Not familiar with those bulbs but it isn't uncommon for algae to grow on the glass after adding new bulbs. I clean my glass every other day. 7 hours of lighting is not overkill by any means.

1990jpyj

do you think it will stop? i never had this problem with the old nova pro extream that had 6 bulbs. thats why i find it very weird that its doing this. maybe i will try and swap out some bulbs to see if things change.

1990jpyj

figured i would put these up before anybody asked:
ph-8.2
No2-0
No3-5
Nh3-0
i dont test for anything else yet(waiting on kits)
salt-35ppm
i use RO water for top-offs, and i do weekly water changes mixed with Instant ocean salt. i havnt had a problem until now with anything like this.
HTH with my problem
do you think i should get more snails? i have like 50ish in my 55g

aquaguy24

is it just the brown algea.... did u acclimate the tank to the new lights.. once the tank is use to the lights the problem should go away....i had the same problem when i first upgraded to MH..from PCs..brown algea for like two weeks..

1990jpyj

its kinda a mix between green and brown. i cannot really figure it out. i think im gonna buy one of those mag-float glass cleaners to solve this problem today.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2921091
its kinda a mix between green and brown. i cannot really figure it out. i think im gonna buy one of those mag-float glass cleaners to solve this problem today.
Good idea and use it every other day. If you don't the algae becomes harder to remove.