New lighting......hit 5months old

gammabill

My tank has just reached the ripe old age of five months. I have upgraded the lights 48" 4 65watt power compacts.....plus two moon lights. Take is 80 gal.

pacopetty

I just ordered the same lights you have for my 55 gal.
Which brand of moonlights are you running?
Do you have your compacts on a timer?

gammabill

Originally posted by pacopetty
I just ordered the same lights you have for my 55 gal.
Which brand of moonlights are you running?
Do you have your compacts on a timer?

The lights are CustomSealife....have the compacts and moon lights on timers

beachbumtx

HIya!,
What's the total wattage on your tank? 260 watts? Do you have hard corals?
I have similar power compacts. Coral life four 65 watt bulbs. Its on my 55gal. I want to have hard corals, but I figure I would have to hold off until I get additional lighting. 260 watts for a 55gal is about 4.7 watts per gallon. I have always been told 6 to 8 watts are needed for hard corals.
My boss as also told me that PCs are under rated and you actually get more wattage than the box says, but not sure if I agree with that thinking.
Thoughts?

beachbumtx

What is your light schedule set up, as far as how long are they on

GammaBill or myself?

gammabill

What is your light schedule set up, as far as how long are they on

I have them set up on twelve hours on...and the moon lights are on for just a couple of hours....

gammabill

Originally posted by BeachBumTX
HIya!,
What's the total wattage on your tank? 260 watts? Do you have hard corals?
I have similar power compacts. Coral life four 65 watt bulbs. Its on my 55gal. I want to have hard corals, but I figure I would have to hold off until I get additional lighting. 260 watts for a 55gal is about 4.7 watts per gallon. I have always been told 6 to 8 watts are needed for hard corals.
My boss as also told me that PCs are under rated and you actually get more wattage than the box says, but not sure if I agree with that thinking.
Thoughts?

Being a new beginner, I have just recently gotten some hard corals....and they are doing fine. Luckily my best friend is in the business and sells all my needs....he says that the lights are strong enough for them. They are doing great and seem to be happy. Time will tell.