new lights for 30 gallon- vho, pc or MH?

justinl

I'm setting up another tank that's 30 gallons.
On my main tank I've got VHO's and I'm happy with those, but does anyone thing I should go with MH or PC's instead?
I'd like to have maybe 1 or 2 fish and some LPS and other low to medium maintenance corals/polyps.
Should I go for the MH's since a setup for them is roughly the same as a VHO setup?

adrian

Although metal halides are about as good as it gets, you might not need one. If your just getting into LPS and easy to maintain corals 2-4 VHOs would work and give you great results. On the other hand if you never had halides, might as well get one and see what they're all about :D A halide would require extras like a reflector, fans, a hood with enough clearance, ect, but in the end its worth it. I like PCs for certain systems, but I dont feel they are ideal for primary reef lighting, I like the color and results of mutiple vhos much better, just my $.02 though ;) HTH

josh

Justin:
Well here's my .02
I run 165 watts of PC on my 29 gallon. I have two 10K lights and one of the "new" 03 actinic lights from lampsnow. It is very very close to the VHO actinic. I choose the PC lights b/c they don't give off much heat - which is important in a small canopy, they are much cheaper to run, smaller in size and they are extremely intense.
HTH
- Josh -

fshhub

i like pc and mh, we have pc oursleves, but as far as mh's go, i would not on a 29, tooo much heat for your aquarium

jond

I run three 24" VHO on my 37gal. w/ an Icecap ballast. One 4" fan, and never a heat problem. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I am thinking of adding a fourth bulb to bring me to 300W.

predator

I'm running 4 48in vho's and have'nt had a heat problem,and I have no fan.I just recently bought another ice cap 660,end caps,lights bla bla.And I'm about to set it all up under my canopy.I'v been told that heat will play a factor then.So will see.

oozy

i have JBJ formosa DX PC's, 110w on my 20g. they are great, with MH i would worry about heat.
-Oozy-

biggdriver

I prefer MH also,,,Pendants can also be used to dissipate the heat factor..One question though I am setting up a 60 hex and want to use a 400w MH pendant...will the top area be too intense for clams etc.

wamp

Halides are always great if you are keeping it high off the water and a good fan if in a canopy. The other thing to consider is VHOs have been extremly sucesfull in small tanks. If you run vhos you will also need a fan to keep heat down.. You have to wtch out for overheating!