New lights for the end of the world!

noobzilla

I finished my new lighting setup, upgraded from 2 T5's to 6. I think I've got all the timers set up right, however I have a few questions. How much eggcrate or light diffuser should I have? And also should I shorten the time my "day" lights while my corals adapt to the new sun?
I was also thinking of running to Home Depot to grab some of the screen door screen to help lower the light going through, or should the eggcrate be enough? I've currently got 2 sheets over my main colonies, as well as single pieces in less coraly areas.

reefr

what size tank is this?
i would put the actinics on, and slowly turn on the whites more and more as time progresses.

noobzilla

It's a 55 gallon, I've got 3 actinic bulbs and 3 12k, but I'm thinking of taking one of the 12k's out and putting in one of the royal purples I've been reading about. I just went for the bulbs I can get from my supplier for the time being, but I don't know if they have the purples, so I may have to pay more then I'm happy paying for a light bulb.
How long does it take for bleaching to start happening when you upgrade lights? So far everything seems great, other then an unhappy monti, but that's the whole reason I upgraded the lights in the first place.
My neighbors have already commented that my house looks like a UFO landed in the living room, I guess these new lights light up halfway to the street.

acrylic51

Why not just cut your lighting schedule in 1/2 for a time being.....and gradually work your way up.....How long are you currently running your lights now......

noobzilla

I've currently got my blues on for 12 hours and the whites for 10. So far things seem to be fine with a couple rows of egg crate. I'm even seeing some new growth on a few of my zoa's.
The lights are 2 12k's, 1 18k, and 3 actinics. Things look a bit washed out from all the white, so I'm still messing around with colors until I can find something similar to the look with just the 2 lights. I might say to hell with it and order all new ATI bulbs, if I can't get a look with the bulbs I have access to.
I thought about cutting the light time, but didn't know how hard it would be on things with days getting longer and nights getting shorter, and vice versa.