New lights question

benwildog

I just bought a light hood from an ---- store psl (pet supply liquidators) and am having a few issues. The lights consist of 2- 400 watt MH's, and 2 48 inch VHO's. The problem is that the 2 MH bulbs will run great for around 2 hours, then turn off, and then an hour or two later it will come back on. I am just not sure if the product is defective, the ballast is defective, or if there is some other aspect i am missing. The unit also makes a almost a burning smell, thought maybe it is just the smell of MH's but maybe not.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

benwildog

Do MH lights create a smell, or is that just mine? When I open the basement door and I can smell it upstairs. Is this normal or are they burning up? They are 400 watts apeice so could that be it? It kinda smells like a tanning salon. I put a fan blowing across the ballast and now they stay on all day no problem.

wwfstyle

At 1st my lights smalled like they where burning but I think that it was just burning the dust around the area or on the bulb. What kind of ballast is it? I use a PFO and never had a problem like what you are talking about. But again my lights are only 250 on my 75 set up.