New Lights

p fish

Just got my new canopy with my upgraded lights installed.
My question is, its a bowfront 72g and I went from NO light to VHO 440. I have some corals already in the tank, (plate/colt/star polyps/some leather/ and mushrooms) how long before I start seeing a change in the corals. Calcuim level 450.
Thanks......

dburr

Be sure to acclaimate them by the lenth of the photoperiod or by raising the lights. Going from 80w to 440w is a big jump and you don't want to shock them.
You may see a change in a month or so depending on what corels they are. It's really hard to say. Their are alot of variables to deal with.
good luck.

nm reef

One thing that I have found to be true about keeping a reef is that about the only thing to happen fast....is something bad.
You just made a decent up-grade on your lighting....I would cut back the photo period and over a few weeks increase it back to your normal period. Some of the corals may take some adjusting to the new lights......as for seeing improvements in your corals...well that would be a good thing...and good things in a reef take time. Just the nature of the beast.....over time and with proper care they just grow and improve and continue to amaze.
Best of luck...and keep us posted as things settle back in...*_^