New live rock

sthlts

I just started a 150 reef tank and ordered a shipment of 200 lbs of live rock it doesn't seem to be enough rock, how far up the tank should I go it seems that I need about 300 lbs to get to 2/3 full is that to much?

frogdog

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2802777
I just started a 150 reef tank and ordered a shipment of 200 lbs of live rock it doesn't seem to be enough rock, how far up the tank should I go it seems that I need about 300 lbs to get to 2/3 full is that to much?
I hear 1- 1 1/2 lb per gal. is ideal. GL!

btwk12

its all ur preference. but like frogdog said they say the minimum should be 1lb per gallon. maybe u can stack it different and make it look more full.

sthlts

I figured i should go big or go home, I now have 400 lbs of live rock in a 150 gallon tank. I would like to know when I should be worried about ammonia the tank has been up and running 7 days and I am at 5-6 PPM when do I have to do a large water change

errattiq

Sthlts, from what your saying your tank is going through its initial cycle. ALL new tanks go through the nitrogen cycle, i.e. first ammonia builds, then bacteria that process ammonia grow, the ammonia is converted into nitrite, then that bacteria grows which converts it into nitrate and then bacteria grow to export the nitrate into nitrogen gas and out of your system (basically).... This cycle could last anywhere from 1 week- 1+ months from what I've read... You should never add anything to the tank beside liverock/livesand at this time because most if not all livestock you have will die... Not many fish out there can survive a cycle such as this, although some people will recommend putting in a damsel or a clown to cycle the tank because they produce ammonia, the first requirement for a cycle to begin. However, there are many moral reservations when doing this... If you have livestock, you need to monitor closely to make sure they are doing ok... IF not, put some ammonia detox or equivalent into the water, although you really shouldn't there isn't much choice in your situation, that is to say that you even have livestock at this point.... If you want do small water changes, stay away from large ones because it'll take longer to get your cycle over with...
-Josh

ilovemytank

heres 245 lbs in my 125. actually about 20 of that 245 lbs. is in the sump and refugium. Thursday my metal halides arrive and then comes the corals !!!!

gatorwpb

IMO you should do the WC now. 5-6 is very high for ammonia. Most what I see is that if ammonia goes to 1.5 or higher, do a WC. Ammonia of 1.0 will get the cycle going but wont kill any beneficial critters or life in the rocks which will help the tank in the long run. Ammonia that high (5-6) will kill anything in it.