New Longnose Hawkfish in tank

scotts2002

I just got a Longnose Hawkfish and it is very timid. It is one of the smaller fish, about 2.5 inches, in the tank and it found a home on top of a power near the top of the tank. It wont move from there and it hasn't eaten yet -- I've seen it go after food but I would really like to entice it to eat. Any suggestions?
The tank is 140 gallons with these fish in it: Yellow Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang, juv. Emperor Angel, 6 Line Wrasse, Pinkspot Shrimp Gobie, 2 Percula Clowns, Lawnmower Blennie, and Royal Gramma.

fedukeford

ive herd thatr hawkfish and blenny should NEVER go together.... if any of those fish are smaller then the hawkfish he might bother them

scotts2002

I didn't know that. The hawkfish is much smaller than the blennie though. The blennie has not gone near the hawkfish -- I don't think either fish knows the other is there.

fedukeford

ok they might do fine but the hawkfish can get semi aggresive and i dont know if you know this already but DO NOT put any shrimp in... the hawkfish will eat them

mombostic

What are trying to feed? My hawkfish will only eat frozen or fresh food, like brine shrimp or mysis, the marine cuisine frozen stuff and things like that. He swims around when I feed pellets or flakes, but he doesn't actually eat any of them.

kjord97

I have had my longnose hawkfish in my 45 gal FOWLR for about 6 months. He loves to hang out at the highest object he can sit on and view the whole tank. I rarely see him swimmin around unless he is heading to another perch. Mine does not do to well with flake, but loves brine shrimp and cyclopeeze, but wow who does not love cyclopeeze. Also i have a yellow goby and they never seem to bother each other. I have read that longnose hawkfish liketo eat shrimps, but my shrimps are the same size as him and he does not bother them.