New map puffer

tonysi

I just picked up a baby map puffer today.
He is only 2 inches right now so I'm going to put him in a 65 gal grow out tank until he gets some size on him to go into my 375 with my other puffers.I have 1 question does any one know how fast of a grower they are?Cause I have a stars and stripes that is about 4 inches and I bought him about 6 months ago at only like 3 inches.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by TonySi
http:///forum/post/2956604
I just picked up a baby map puffer today.
He is only 2 inches right now so I'm going to put him in a 65 gal grow out tank until he gets some size on him to go into my 375 with my other puffers.I have 1 question does any one know how fast of a grower they are?Cause I have a stars and stripes that is about 4 inches and I bought him about 6 months ago at only like 3 inches.
PICS!!!! of the new addition and the 375 WOW

tonysi

I would love too but wifey broke our camera 3 days ago
and I'm too cheap to buy a camera but not when it comes to my fish and tanks.Oh btw
I got the map at a steal for 30 bucks
Lfs marked him incorrectly-too bad for them.

small triggers

WOMEN never break anything, you just didnt show her how to use it right
other than that,, do you have a cell phone?? comeone something,,,,

rslinger

ok my stars and stripes is a pig i bought him at around 4in and he is around 12 in. now and fat map slower growing also around two years ago the size or a quarter now about 6 in. also be aware the are a couple puffers that look similar to a map as juv. mine eat a lot of raw shrimp shell on octo squid and salmon and i through in some clams every couple months

j0hn rambo

Maps grow slower like said above. Stars and Stripes are rapid growers just feed a varied diet. If plenty of rock structure is provided in that aquarium hopefully you won't run into problems with the 2 puffers, in smaller aquariums I wouldn't try that mix but I think it should be fine in the larger aquarium as long as they are both kept well fed.

U

usirchchris

I had a stars and stripes and a porc in a tank (they are in seperate tanks now). The stars and stripes is a gentle giant...the porc however...
. Not saying all stars and stripes are going to be like mine...just sayin'.

myerst22

Oh I love Mappa puffers!! They get huge. Though I must disagree a bit about their aggression. They are usually passive but when they act up that mouth can cause serious damage!!! I had a beauty Mappa and this you must take note of!!! **** DO NOT KEEP POWERHEADS IN YOUR DISPLAY!!!! You can maybe do Koralia type pumps but I would be hesitant. Reason i say so is because I learned the hard way. I had a super healthy Mappa for about 5 months and then my fiance said cool look he is all puffed up. I knew right away there was nothing cool going on. I had placed a powerhead behind some LR and the Mappa got sucked up in the intake perfectly around his eye socket. He seemed fine for 2 days and then broke down and died the next day. So learn from my stupid mistake. Here are some pics of my old Mappa. Loved him. T