New member new jbj nano cube 12 led

Jkuhl

Hello everyone my name is Jamie. I'm returning to the hobby after a 7 yr. hiatus. My last tank was a 55 gallon fish only tank, so while not totally green, my new 12 gallon will be my first foray into a true reef system. I just returned from my lfs with, 2 bags of live sand, a heater, pump, thermometer, timer, hydrometer, test kit and some additives. I also purchased 12 lbs of Fiji rock that's being held at the store until my daughter and I set up the tank soon after xmas. She's just turned 7 and asked "Santa" for something science related for xmas. What's more science related than a mini reef, haha?

[/URL][/IMG]

So here are my questions. I'm going to be adding a skimmer. I know many feel this to be unnecessary for a system of this size but I can't see how it would harm anything and for me, it's an added piece of mind. I'm considering the eshopps nano but want to know if it will fit the chambers without any modding? I'm also under the assumption that removing the ceramic balls and stock media is a suggested first step. Is getting a media basket and ditching the stock media the way to go?

My intent is to house no more than a pair, maybe 3 fish and a small cleaning crew. In terms of corals, zoas and star polyps seem like a good starting point with the potential to add frog spawn or something similar when I succeed with these other species. Realizing these are living creatures, my number one goal is to first do no harm. Killing an animal is far more distressing to me than any potential loss of money, so I want to prioritize giving theses animals a good life. I loved my former tank and the fish lived long healthy lIves (yellow tang, perc, hawk fish, pseudo chromis, coral beauty and a sand sifting goby). If I can achieve the harmony that that community shared, on a much smaller scale, I'll be very happy.

I'm very excited to be returning to the hobby and introducing my daughter to it as well. I thank you for the time taken to read my post and any help you all may provide. If I'm missing anything I'd love the feedback.

Last edited:

florida joe

right off the bat i would bring back the hydrometer and get a Refractometer while salinity is not super critical in your tank. if you need to do hypo-salinity down the road you want a better instrument. I would pick up a bottle of Prime and a polyfilter is always good to have on hand. What about lighting

Jkuhl

rightr off the bat i would bring back the hydrometer and get a Refractometer while salinity is not super critical in your tank. if you need to do hypo-salinity down the road you want a better instrument

Thanks for the tip. Is the brix model a worthy instrument? I'm currently going with the stock leds which are comprised of 3 10k and 5 20k leds.

Last edited:

florida joe

Just my .02 I would hold off on the star there are much nicer corals in my opinion for a small tank such as yours look into coral comparability this way you can “bunch” multiple corals together for a really nice look.

Jkuhl

Day 4 of the live rock/sand cycle. I added a TBSP of startsmart complete on Tuesday. Did a test today and I have an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm so stuff is dying. I also discovered this blue Mushroom on one of the rocks, there's a much smaller one on the other side and a number of pineapple sponges. Will continue with daily tests until the cycle is obvious and go from there. I also ordered a media basket and a year's supply of chemipure, purigen and filter floss. Additionally I ordered the autoaqua smart micro ato. Hope this shroom survives the cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: