jbirdsnest

This is an older picture and I apologize for the mag float but I wanted to start a thread in hopes it would get me motivated to get some updated pics.
initial set up, March '09.

jbirdsnest

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3141086
new pictures would be great but i would not considered it a nano lol. Nice tank though

No new pics yet but I will shortly. Tank is only 30g but I have had multiple people tell me it seems much larger.

jbirdsnest

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3145522
WOW...this tank is only 6 months old...amazing
This tank has only been set up since March, but all of the live rock, fish, and maybe half the coral came from a 29g that I had running for 1.5 yrs. That being said I still appreciate your compliments.
If you notice the clam is not in any of the FTS's because they are taken about a month ago.

nissan577

what size is it? what lights do you have? what do you feed?
sorry for all the questions its just thats its amazing!

jbirdsnest

its 30g with a 150w 14k halide and two 96w actinic pc's. I feed a mix of freeze dried zooplanton, hikari pellets, rotifers, mysis, soaked in selcon and live phyto. thanks for the positve feedback.

troy989

i just got the same skimmer idk about size for free it came with my 90g can u give me your opinion of it?

jbirdsnest

That is the smallest version of the Super Skimmer and it does a good job for the bioload and the amount that I feed. I used the same model as a hang-on-back on my last tank and had all sorts of issues with it. It would never keep a constant water level in the reaction chamber, venturi would get clogged by salt, the list goes on and it was constant tinkering. I thought and researched all sorts of DIY's to make it better and when I set up this tank I was able to turn this into a decent skimmer. By cutting some holes and using a few uniseals I ran a line from the overflow to feed the skimmer and configured the pump so that it recirculates water over and over. This allowed me to control the flow not by how many GPH the pump turned over but by how much I wanted to let through from the over flow. I also bored out the air inlet on the venturi to allow more air to be pulled in. I ditched the silencer it comes with and attached the airline to the skimmer lid, much quieter.
There are better skimmers out there but they have a price tag. With some work you can be satisfied with it.

jbirdsnest

Purple is my favorite color. I think flow is the reason for good coraline growth. I want to replace the power heads that I have with one vortech but that requires some dough.

saltymarine

Originally Posted by jbirdsnest
http:///forum/post/3159315
Purple is my favorite color. I think flow is the reason for good coraline growth. I want to replace the power heads that I have with one vortech but that requires some dough.
The you can send me your Koralias!