New mogul based LED MH replacement bulb

spiderwoman

Fresh from the press... take a look at this bulb

This is fresh from Tullio Del Aquila:
It is a Mogul based LED metal halide

[hr]
in replacement lamp! Best of all no ballast is needed it runs off of 120 VAC! It can be easily installed in aquarium canopies as a retro fit what ever you like.
The output is easily equivalent to a real 250 watt halide bulb! It will produce 2500 Lumens at 9 meters! So imagine over an aquarium even if it is 24” -36” deep. I only have 10,000K available right now and they are going quickly but they look beautiful over a tank just like a real halide.

spiderwoman

If you don't belong to a reefer club then you have to check with your LFS for the availability of these bulbs. I just heard the price, it's around $400 per bulb. I'm going to order 2 bulbs to see how they perform.
Reply from Tullio:
For the record the LED bulb is pricey right now but it really does work and literally blows away the output of the Solaris systems. Plus by not needing a ballast the energy savings alone the bulb pays for itself within a year. It is instant on so no more waiting for the halides to cool down before you can re-fire them and of course no where near the heat of a halide bulb so it is ideal for canopies and installations where heat can be a problem. So think of it this way you need no chillers at least due to the lighting and no ballast. So you can light a 2x2x2’ aquarium for under 400 dollars so it is in line with the pricing if you had to buy a ballast and fixture. Figure every two feet of aquarium uses one bulb. They can run their actinic and existing supplemental lighting to achieve the color they like.

ifirefight

Would these lose the par value after a certain period,like a regular MH bulb? I guess I am asking ..how often would it need to be replaced.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/2627192
Would these lose the par value after a certain period,like a regular MH bulb? I guess I am asking ..how often would it need to be replaced.

The lifespan of LEDS is so insane.. usually 50K+ hours, that I doubt you need to worry about it... hell... that means after running for 12 hours a day for 6 years you're only 50% of the way to the end of life...
LEDS also tend to just stop working... they don't "degrade" ... not usually.
What worries me is that the LEDS may be connected in series... so if one goes out due to a manufacturing flaw... the whole thing goes.
Still though, me wanty for my nano.

T

tizzo

We have a LFS down here that is exclusive LED's. Many corals and anemones with good color. However I did notice bleaching after a while. When I asked about it the guy said the PAR is adjustable and they were blasting the corals with TO MUCH light. So they have since turned it down.
I'll let you know if I see any improvement.
If it's true, then spiderwoman, make sure you light acclimate your corals!
If it's not true and the bulbs are bunk, then take one for the team and let us know.

spiderwoman

I'll be the tester for this new bulb. I have ordered one LED bulb and will pair it up with a PFO dual 400W setup in the new 150 tank. My bulb comes in on Tuesday so we'll see how everything goes. I won't have any corals in the tank for at least 3 weeks but that gives me time to see how I like the color spectrum in an empty tank with just LR and LS.
I'll keep you all posted on how the test goes.

spiderwoman

Bulb is here, unfortunately I won't get it up and running until next Monday when hubby is back home. It's a monster bulb to say the least.

chilwil84

looks good the fins make me wonder about heat. i know the big systems have some individual heat sinks built in to each led to give them their long life. good luck. keep us posted

reefraff

Gads I would love to throw the PAR meter under one of those but not 400.00 interested.
Funny how all these LED system manufacturesr say they are equal to 250 watt halides but they wont publish PAR numbers. There are some pretty dismal 250 watt halides out there they could be comparing these to.