New mogul based LED MH replacement bulb

spiderwoman

Hey coachKLM we haven't seen you in a while!
Here is what I wrote in my tank build thread about the new light
No pictures yet, but hubby plugged the LED in temporarily so that I have some light in the tub until he installs the rest of the lights.
First impression is slightly yellowish hue. Absolutely amazing glitter effect in the water. IMO much better than MH glitter effect. The LED has 28 mini LED's in it so that causes the effect to be so amazing. This light definitely needs actinics to supplement more blue.
The light has been on since Tuesday and I'm starting to get used to the color. I do love more blueness and my 400W MH's are going to be much bluer (Radium 20k).
I currently have red, brown, purple and hairy green mushrooms in the bottom of the 28inch tank and so far they are looking really good. The light is almost a foot off the water level so the penetration is good.

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by coachKLM
http:///forum/post/2684630
updated needed/....updates wanted ...lol
Aw...I got faked out.
I saw the thread bumped and assumed it was going to have new pics.
Come on folks join in...
WE WANT PIC's!!!....... WE WANT PICS!!.............

coachklm

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2684635
Hey coachKLM we haven't seen you in a while!
Here is what I wrote in my tank build thread about the new light

yeah been busy moving stuff and getting ready to move to alaska.... On a side note I was able to sell my entire 270g system so its been hectic breaking it down and resetting it up....I'd love to see the bulb mounted in comparison to a tank... w/the size...and color..

bronco300

do you have a PAR meter to actually compare these? look pretty interesting, and would be cheaper if actually as good.....did they have different option as far as kelvin goes?

wangotango

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2685015
do you have a PAR meter to actually compare these? look pretty interesting, and would be cheaper if actually as good.....did they have different option as far as kelvin goes?
+1. See if you can get your hands on a PAR meter just to see how it compares.
Also want to know about different kelvin options...
-Justin

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2697669
+1. See if you can get your hands on a PAR meter just to see how it compares.
Also want to know about different kelvin options...
-Justin
I think I know someone with a PAR meter. I'll check with him tomorrow.
So far the only bulb they have is 10k.

michael1972

SpiderWoman have you been running this light as one of your MH the hole time?
if so can we have some pic of it runing lighting your tank up.
how do you like this light? can you tell a diff from the other HM you are running.
have you used a watt meter to see the power it takes to run this?
thank you. mike

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1972
http:///forum/post/2697868
SpiderWoman have you been running this light as one of your MH the hole time?
if so can we have some pic of it runing lighting your tank up.
how do you like this light? can you tell a diff from the other HM you are running.
have you used a watt meter to see the power it takes to run this?
thank you. mike
I first had this bulb up running alone for a little over a week to give my few fish some light. It was mounted in the center of the canopy and it covered a good 60% of 72 inch width of the tank. Then last week the 2x400W MH's were put in place and I'm still running the LED as the center light. Probably will keep it like that for a good while as that *less light* area in the tank allows me to keep more lower light corals. The tank is 28 inch deep (water depth) and the lights are mounted a good foot above the water level.
I was worried that the MH's would be too strong for zoa's and stuff and that a 3rd 400W light would just boil the water.
I'll disconnect the MH's this afternoon and take a picture of the tank without MH's on. We haven't hooked the lights up to the controller yet so I'll just unplug the other 2.
Pros: no heat coming from the light. My office desk light produces more heat than this. No need for a ballast. Just take the mogul base from your MH's reflector, rewire it to a regular power cord and plug it into your wall. Very simple. Low energy!
Cons: What I DON'T like is how yellow the color of the light is. 10k in MH is crisp white, but this is yellowish. My eyes got used to it during the week it was running by itself.
We have not ran a watt meter on it and I don't even know where hubby would keep it so I have to ask him when he gets home on Monday.
Overall I'd give it 8+ out of 10. So far all corals under it have done well.

michael1972

well i kinda know how you are with pic
so i know it might be few days
was wondering if you would be adding more of the led lights or are you happy with just the one in the middle?
and 8 out of 10 is a hight score for something that saves you money in energy bill.
with no heet you could put them side by side but they are to high priced for me right now.
thank you
mike

spiderwoman

Hehe I'm lousy when it comes to posting pics, that's for sure :)
Once this bulb comes out in 20k and the price comes down some, then I might consider going all LED, but right now, I'm happy having it just in the middle.
We are installing T5's with pink and blue bulbs sometime next week once they come in and that will supplement the LED with more color. I do love the no-heat deal... a lot!