New nano skimmer?

marco333

I was browsing through a fish magazine I received in the mail, and noticed a new skimmer they had for sale for nano tanks. Its called a Fission nano-protein skimmer made by Current. Its for tanks up to 30 gallons and measures 6.5 inches by 2 inches. It says powered by a air injected submersible pump that pushes 84 gallons per hour. It costs 29.99$ Has anyone had any expierence with this product, and does it seem worth it for a 10g tank?
Thanx

sigmachiny

Just set one up yesterday in my kid's 12g Aquapod. So far it seems kind of useless, but haven't had it running enough. I wouldn't have high expecations for it, my LFS included it as a package with the tank.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Marco333
I was browsing through a fish magazine I received in the mail, and noticed a new skimmer they had for sale for nano tanks. Its called a Fission nano-protein skimmer made by Current. Its for tanks up to 30 gallons and measures 6.5 inches by 2 inches. It says powered by a air injected submersible pump that pushes 84 gallons per hour. It costs 29.99$ Has anyone had any expierence with this product, and does it seem worth it for a 10g tank?
Thanx
At work we have the whole aquapod set up w/ fission skimmer. the skimmer...doesn't work great. the collection cup can fill w/ water. theres no adjustment for how much air it can take in and there are microbubbles being returned into the tank. it took too much time to finally b able to jam it where it's meant to fit (real pain in the {edit - language}). a guy bought the same set up from us and said the pump makes a great powerhead!! imo, does not work great if at all

pclown

Read the other post on it and you will see that a very few people have had any luck with it with most people not being able to get it to work properly.
I have owned two, and the LFS store has stop carrying them because of all the complaints they had. They skim very little and that is when you have it set in there just right, and when it is not, then the cup fills up with water. I had my uncle(who has set up serveral protein skimmers) try to get it to work and after a couple of weeks could not get it to do much, if anything. The LFS owner didnt believe so he set it up to prove me wrong and after a week or so; he gave up. With that and several other complaints he stop selling it. One person on another site had it kill everything in there tank after a few hours. I have read all the post and one time gave a positive post on it after spending hours of getting it to work right but it didnt last long. Once you water level drops just a little it stops. Too much work for this thing. I have less nitrates by using Purigen than that protien skimmer.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by PClown
Read the other post on it and you will see that a very few people have had any luck with it with most people not being able to get it to work properly.
I have owned two, and the LFS store has stop carrying them because of all the complaints they had. They skim very little and that is when you have it set in there just right, and when it is not, then the cup fills up with water. I had my uncle(who has set up serveral protein skimmers) try to get it to work and after a couple of weeks could not get it to do much, if anything. The LFS owner didnt believe so he set it up to prove me wrong and after a week or so; he gave up. With that and several other complaints he stop selling it. One person on another site had it kill everything in there tank after a few hours. I have read all the post and one time gave a positive post on it after spending hours of getting it to work right but it didnt last long. Once you water level drops just a little it stops. Too much work for this thing. I have less nitrates by using Purigen than that protien skimmer.
I think the general consenses on the fission skimmers is they are JUNK

pclown

Originally Posted by seannmelly
I think the general consenses on the fission skimmers is they are JUNK
I agree

zoie2

I set mine up when I first got my tank in Dec. It worked great for about a month or so, but then it filled up with water. I couldn't get the water level just right so I ended up taking it out.
My nitrates went up over a couple weeks. My LFS said to put it back in. I finally figured out that when I took out the sponge in the first chamber it changd my water flow. I had to slow it down by covering the vents in the middle of the wall. By doing that, it slowed my water flow down and it is now working right.
My nitrates are slowly going back down.
So I am using mine, again.

marco333

I unfortunately purchased one before reading all these negative responses. Right now it seems to be working as the cup is filling with some type of gunk. However it is mass producing an abundance of microbubbles. Is there anyway to get rid of them? If they dont go away I will prolly take the skimmer out, as it is fillin the tank with bubbles.

emperor11

I know AquaC is coming out with a nano skimmer...keep your eyes peeled for it. I don't recommend fission skimmers to ANYONE.

L

lbaskball

I think its useless, the darn cup that is suppose to collect anythign is wayy too small to collect anything. When I had it running, it was skimming so much that I would of literally had to keep emptying the cup eery 5minutes. If they would of made that cup a little bit bigger, it would of been a better product. Dont buy it. I wouldnt recommend it.

tat2d

The new aquaC nano skimmer will be out in the next week or so. A friend of mine spoke to someone at the company a week ago, and he said 2 weeks till it's released. I can't wait. I haven't bought a skimmer for my nano because I heard this was coming out soon.
I've heard all bad about the fissions too. Don't people test this stuff before putting it out there for sale. :mad: Oh well.
Peace,
Bobby

L

lbaskball

That aqua c skimmer better have a bigger collection cup then the fission skimmer or that brought too will suck.